In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the intricacies of USA visa refusal rate in 2021 and approval rates, shedding light on the factors that influence the outcome of various visa applications. We’ll cover the most common reasons for visa denials, explore the rejection rates for popular visa types such as B1/B2, H2A, H2B, F1, and J1, and analyze recent trends in visa approval rates. This information is essential for anyone planning to apply for a US visa or seeking to better understand the US immigration process.
Table of Contents
1. US Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) Approval and Rejection Rates
In FY2021, US non-immigrant visas (NIVs) such as B1B2 visitor, F1 student, H2A work, C1/D transit, and J1 exchange visitor visas saw 3,148,323 applications decided. With 356,240 denials and 2,792,083 NIVs issued, the acceptance and rejection rates were 88.68% and 11.32%, respectively.
USA Visa Refusal Rate in 2020
In FY2020, 5,361,338 NIV applications were decided, resulting in 1,348,128 denials and 4,013,210 issuances. The success and refusal rates for US visas in 2020 stood at 74.85% and 25.15%, respectively.
US Visa Approval and Denial Rates in 2019
During FY2019, 11,734,505 NIV applications were decided, with 2,992,437 denials and 8,742,068 issuances. Consequently, the approval and denial rates were 74.50% and 25.50%, respectively.
US Visa Approval and Rejection Rates in 2018
In FY2018, US foreign service posts issued a total of 9.5 million immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including B1/B2/Border Crossing Cards. Nonimmigrant visas comprised nearly 95% of the visas issued by US embassies and consulates. In 2018, 12.76 million decisions were made for NIVs, resulting in 9 million issuances and 3.73 million refusals. The acceptance and rejection rates in 2018 were 70.53% and 29.25%, respectively.
2. Top Reasons for Visa Denials
Understanding the common reasons for visa denials can help applicants avoid potential issues during the application process. Here are the top reasons for U.S. visa denials:
- Inadequate documentation: Incomplete or incorrect documentation is one of the leading causes of visa denials. Ensure all required documents are submitted, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Insufficient financial resources: Applicants must demonstrate they have adequate financial resources to cover their stay in the U.S. Failure to provide sufficient proof may result in denial.
- Misrepresentation of information: Providing false or misleading information on a visa application can lead to denial and potentially result in a permanent ban from entering the U.S.
- Criminal history or security concerns: A criminal record or suspected involvement in terrorist activities may result in visa denial based on security grounds.
- Immigrant intent: Nonimmigrant visa applicants must prove their intent to return to their home country after their temporary stay in the U.S. If consular officers believe an applicant intends to immigrate permanently, the visa may be denied.
- Prior visa violations: Previous violations of U.S. immigration laws, such as overstaying a visa or working illegally, can lead to visa denials.
- Health-related issues: Certain health conditions, particularly contagious diseases, may result in visa denial due to public health concerns.
By addressing these common issues and ensuring a thorough and accurate visa application, applicants can improve their chances of obtaining a U.S. visa.
3. US Visa Approval Rate for B-Type Visitors
In 2021, B1 business visas had an 88.49% acceptance rate, while B2 tourist visas had a 58.25% approval rate. B1B2 combination visas had an 83.20% acceptance rate. B1/B2/BCC combination cards and B1/B2/BCV cards (Lincoln Foil) for Mexican citizens had approval rates of 96.18% and 91.13%, respectively. In 2018, the US B-Type visitor visa refusal rate was 31.82%.
4. US H-Type Work Visa Approval Rates
In 2021, the H1B work visa had a 92.85% acceptance rate, while the H1B1 work visa had a 97.84% approval rate. H2A agricultural worker visas had a 95.60% acceptance rate, and H2B non-agricultural worker visas had a 94.15% approval rate. H3 trainee visas had an 85.84% acceptance rate, and H4 visas for spouses and children of H-Type visa holders had a 95.51% acceptance rate. In 2018, the overall US H-Type visa rejection rate was 15.5%.
5. F-Type Student Visa Acceptance and Rejection Rates
In 2021, the US F1 student visa had an 80.16% acceptance rate and a 19.84% rejection rate. The F2 visa for spouses and children of students had an acceptance rate of 67.66% and a rejection rate of 32.34%. In previous years, the F1 student visa acceptance and rejection rates were as follows: 68.81% and 31.19% in 2020, and 74.62% and 25.38% in 2019. The F2 visa acceptance and rejection rates were 67.17% and 32.83% in 2020, and 70.37% and 29.63% in 2019. In 2018, the F1 and F2 visa rejection rates were 34.97% and 36.62%, respectively.
6. J-Type Exchange Visitor Visa US Acceptance and Rejection Rates
In 2021, the J1 Exchange Visitor visa had a 91.63% acceptance rate and an 8.37% rejection rate. The J2 visa for spouses and children of exchange visitors had an acceptance rate of 94.13% and a rejection rate of 5.87%. In 2018, the J1 and J2 visa denial rates were 15.58% and 21.02%, respectively. The overall US visa rejection rate for exchange visitors in 2018 was 16.18%.
7. Transit Visa Acceptance and Rejection Rates
In 2021, US transit visas C1, C2, C3, and D had acceptance rates of 85.21%, 40%, 97.02%, and 95.09%, respectively. The C1/D combination visa had an acceptance rate of 97%. In 2018, the rejection rates for C1, C1/D, C2, C3, and D visas were 28.86%, 9.16%, 50%, 5.11%, and 11.75%, respectively.
8. L-Type Intracompany Transferee Visa Acceptance and Rejection Rates
In 2021, the L1 Intracompany Transferee visa had an acceptance rate of 94.16% and a rejection rate of 5.84%. The L2 visa for spouses and children had an acceptance rate of 95.90% and a rejection rate of 4.10%. In 2018, the L1 and L2 visa rejection rates were 18.01% and 12.92%, respectively.
9. K-Type Fiancé(e) Visa Acceptance and Rejection Rates
In 2021, the K1 Fiancé(e) visa had an acceptance rate of 82.22% and a rejection rate of 17.78%. The K2 visa for children had an acceptance rate of 96.15% and a rejection rate of 3.85%. The K3 visa had an acceptance rate of 40% and a rejection rate of 60%. No applications were decided for the K4 visa in 2021. In 2018, the K1, K2, and K3 visa refusal rates were 42.99%, 32.41%, and 82.35%, respectively.
10. Other Non-Immigrant Visas (NIVs)
US Visa Rejection & Approval Rates
Here is a summary of US visa acceptance and rejection rates for various Non-Immigrant Visas in 2021:
- A1: 93.93% acceptance, 6.07% rejection
- A2: 93.26% acceptance, 6.74% rejection
- A3: 84.88% acceptance, 15.12% rejection
E-Type Treaty Visas
- E1: 94.21% acceptance, 5.79% rejection
- E2: 92.51% acceptance, 7.49% rejection
- E2C: 100.00% acceptance
- E3: 96.65% acceptance, 3.35% rejection
- E3D: 97.54% acceptance, 2.46% rejection
- E3R: 98.73% acceptance, 1.27% rejection
- G1: 91.37% acceptance, 8.63% rejection
- G2: 91.09% acceptance, 8.91% rejection
- G3: 96.61% acceptance, 3.39% rejection
- G4: 96.95% acceptance, 3.05% rejection
- G5: 78.30% acceptance, 21.70% rejection
M-Type Vocational Student
- M1: 78.26% acceptance, 21.74% rejection
- M2: 74.24% acceptance, 25.76% rejection
- NATO1: 100.00% acceptance
- NATO2: 99.23% acceptance, 0.77% rejection
- NATO3: 100.00% acceptance
- NATO4: 100.00% acceptance
- NATO5: 100.00% acceptance
- NATO6: 98.22% acceptance, 1.78% rejection
- NATO7: 100.00% acceptance
O-Type Extraordinary Ability
- O1: 91.95% acceptance, 8.05% rejection
- O2: 92.88% acceptance, 7.12% rejection
- O3: 93.23% acceptance, 6.77% rejection
P-Type Internationally Recognized Athlete or Artist
- P1: 95.51% acceptance, 4.49% rejection
- P2: 92.86% acceptance, 7.14% rejection
- P3: 79.04% acceptance, 20.96% rejection
- P4: 94.64% acceptance, 5.36% rejection
T-Type Victim of Trafficking
- T1: 94.12% acceptance, 5.88% rejection
- T2: 92.51% acceptance, 7.49% rejection
- T3: 96.55% acceptance, 3.45% rejection
- T4: 87.88% acceptance, 12.12% rejection
- T5: 100.00% acceptance
- No S5, S6, or S7 visas were issued in 2021.
U-Type Victim of Criminal Activity
- U1: Victim of criminal activity; 2021 acceptance rate: 63.59%, rejection rate: 36.41%.
- U2: Spouse of U1; 2021 acceptance rate: 69.06%, rejection rate: 30.94%.
- U3: Child of U1; 2021 acceptance rate: 74.19%, rejection rate: 25.81%.
- U4: Parent of U1 under 21 years of age; 2021 acceptance rate: 93.33%, rejection rate: 6.67%.
- U5: Unmarried sibling under age 18 of U1 under 21 years of age; 2021 acceptance rate: 83.33%, rejection rate: 16.67%.
USA Visa Refusal Rate 2021 for V-Type Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents
- V1: Spouse of a lawful permanent resident alien (LPR); 2021 acceptance rate: 95.76%, rejection rate: 4.24%.
- V2: Child of a lawful permanent resident alien (LPR); 2021 acceptance rate: 97.63%, rejection rate: 2.37%.
- V3: Derivative child of a V1 or V2; 2021 acceptance rate: 96.55%, rejection rate: 3.45%.
Q-Type Cultural Exchange Program
- Q1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program; 2021 acceptance rate: 79.03%, rejection rate: 20.97%.
I-Type Representative of Foreign Information Media
- I: Representative of foreign information media, spouse, and children; 2021 acceptance rate: 93.05%, rejection rate: 6.95%.
R-Type Religious Occupation
- R1: Person in a religious occupation; 2021 acceptance rate: 85.36%, rejection rate: 14.64%.
- R2: Spouse or Child of R1; 2021 acceptance rate: 79.98%, rejection rate: 20.02%.
US NAFTA Professional Visas
- TN: NAFTA professionals; 2021 acceptance rate: 90.21%, rejection rate: 9.79%.
- TD: Spouse or Child of TN NAFTA Professionals; 2021 acceptance rate: 96.37%, rejection rate: 3.63%.
- N8: Parent of SK3 or SN3 special immigrants; 2021 acceptance rate: 66.67%, rejection rate: 33.33%.
- N9: Child of N8 or of SK1, SK2, SK4, SN1, SN2, or SN4 special immigrants; 2021 acceptance rate: 50.00%, rejection rate: 50.00%.
US CW Visa
- CW1: Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands transitional workers; 2021 acceptance rate: 94.56%, rejection rate: 5.44%.
- CW2: Spouse or Child of CW1; 2021 acceptance rate: 95.56%, rejection rate: 4.44%.
In summary, this information provides an overview of various non-immigrant visa categories and their respective acceptance and rejection rates for the year 2021. Please note that these rates may vary each year and are subject to change.
11. US B Visa Adjusted Acceptance Rate by Country 2021
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate varied significantly across different countries, with some having a rate as high as 95%. For most countries, the US B visa acceptance rate was over 75%.
US Visa Acceptance Rate by Country 2021 (More than 90%)
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate by country exceeded 90% for the following countries:
- Argentina: 97.69%
- Papua New Guinea: 96.55%
- Peru: 95.89%
- Mexico: 95.77%
- Dominican Republic: 95.67%
- Croatia: 95.35%
- Japan: 95.31%
- Israel: 95.08%
- Hong Kong S.A.R.: 94.72%
- Indonesia: 94.17%
- Austria: 93.71%
- Suriname: 93.58%
- Trinidad and Tobago: 92.95%
- Malaysia: 92.79%
- Guatemala: 92.74%
- Tanzania: 92.73%
- Ethiopia: 92.48%
- The Bahamas: 92.09%
- Costa Rica: 92.03%
- Panama: 91.71%
- Norway: 91.35%
- Uruguay: 91.18%
- Eswatini: 91.11%
- United Arab Emirates: 91.07%
- Estonia: 90.91%
- Montenegro: 90.70%
- Zimbabwe: 90.69%
- Singapore: 90.28%
- Mauritius: 90.08%
US Visa Acceptance Rate by Country 2021 (More than 80%)
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate by country was between 80% and 90% for the following countries:
- Philippines: 89.80%
- Namibia: 89.29%
- Albania: 89.22%
- Greece: 89.14%
- Slovakia: 89.13%
- Bolivia: 88.70%
- Vietnam: 88.68%
- Qatar: 88.31%
- Great Britain and Northern Ireland: 88.03%
- Malawi: 87.88%
- India: 87.75%
- Azerbaijan: 87.73
- Honduras: 87.62%
- Macau: 87.50%
- Kosovo: 87.49%
- Taiwan: 87.35%
- Nicaragua: 87.28%
- New Zealand: 87.26%
- Barbados: 87.07%
- Serbia: 86.73%
- Paraguay: 86.67%
- Chile: 86.58%
- Saudi Arabia: 86.57%
- Turkey: 86.30%
- Brazil: 85.75%
- Australia: 85.73%
- Cyprus: 84.91%
- Ukraine: 84.85%
- Slovenia: 84.81%
- Ecuador: 84.32%
- Italy: 84.14%
- Latvia: 84.09%
- Lithuania: 84.09%
- Czech Republic: 83.76%
- Oman: 83.55%
- Finland: 83.49%
- Zambia: 83.46%
- Belgium: 83.43%
- Antigua and Barbuda: 83.34%
- Hungary: 83.33%
- Malta: 83.33%
- Belarus: 83.19%
- Togo: 83.02%
- Romania: 82.97%
- St Lucia: 82.53%
- Ghana: 82.51%
- South Africa: 82.33%
- Portugal: 82.14%
- Korea, South: 81.97%
- Kuwait: 81.82%
- Spain: 81.71%
- Bulgaria: 81.60%
- Poland: 81.52%
- Nepal: 81.28%
- Switzerland: 81.08%
- Jamaica: 80.87%
- Grenada: 80.37%
US Visa Acceptance Rate by Country 2021 (More than 70%)
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate by country was between 70% and 80% for the following countries:
- El Salvador: 79.37%
- Morocco: 79.15%
- Madagascar: 78.18%
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: 78.16%
- France: 77.79%
- Bahrain: 77.52%
- Dominica: 77.15%
- Egypt: 76.19%
- Libya: 75.74%
- Burkina Faso: 75.45%
- Germany: 75.18%
- Tunisia: 75.08%
- Iceland: 75.00%
- Liechtenstein: 75.00%
- Netherlands: 74.72%
- Cabo Verde: 74.68%
- Cote D`Ivoire: 74.67%
- Sri Lanka: 74.66%
- Belize: 74.64%
- Venezuela: 72.78%
- Colombia: 72.25%
- Russia: 70.58%
- Bangladesh: 70.09%
US Visa Acceptance Rate by Country 2021 (More than 50%)
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate by country was between 50% and 70% for the following countries:
- Denmark: 68.89%
- Gabon: 68.75%
- Thailand: 68.18%
- Turkmenistan: 68.00%
- Benin: 67.95%
- Pakistan: 67.47%
- Samoa: 67.42%
- Mozambique: 67.25%
- Vanuatu: 66.67%
- Kenya: 65.14%
- Senegal: 65.05%
- Rwanda: 65.04%
- Cambodia: 64.38%
- Sierra Leone: 64.30%
- Central African Republic: 63.64%
- Iraq: 63.52%
- Guyana: 63.24%
- Armenia: 62.93%
- Democratic Republic of Congo: 62.64%
- Jordan: 61.91%
- Algeria: 61.60%
- Uganda: 61.30%
- Burma: 60.60%
- Sweden: 60.54%
- Mongolia: 60.43%
- Cameroon: 60.07%
- Ireland: 60.00%
- Gambia: 59.70%
- Sudan: 59.10%
- Kazakhstan: 56.71%
- Bhutan: 56.67%
- Nigeria: 56.22%
- Kyrgyzstan: 56.00%
- Syria: 55.96%
- South Sudan: 54.29%
- Haiti: 54.13%
- Uzbekistan: 54.02%
- Tonga: 53.33%
- Kiribati: 50.00%
- Lesotho: 50.00%
US Visa Acceptance Rate by Country 2021 (less than 50%)
In 2021, the US visa acceptance rate by country was less than 50% for the following countries:
- Palestinian Authority Travel Document: 49.20%
- Canada: 48.19%
- Lebanon: 47.79%
- Cuba: 47.31%
- Burundi: 46.77%
- Liberia: 45.83%
- Yemen: 45.70%
- Eritrea: 44.04%
- Fiji: 43.36%
- Tajikistan: 42.76%
- Angola: 41.48%
- Guinea: 38.74%
- Niger: 38.61%
- Guinea-Bissau: 37.50%
- Mali: 37.04%
- Georgia: 36.96%
- The Republic of Congo: 36.18%
- Moldova: 33.63%
- Maldives: 33.33%
- Somalia: 33.33%
- Iran: 33.19%
- Afghanistan: 27.91%
- Chad: 27.23%
- Comoros: 26.32%
- Equatorial Guinea: 25.87%
- China: 20.91%
- Mauritania: 16.86%
- Djibouti: 11.66%
- Laos: 10.14%
- North Korea: 0.00%
12. US B1/B2 Visa Adjusted Refusal Rate by Country (2018)
In 2018, the US B1/B2 visa rejection rate varied among different countries. Below, we provide the rejection rates for the top countries during that year.
- China: 17.00%
- Mexico: 24.93%
- India: 26.07%
- Brazil: 12.73%
- Argentina: 1.73%
- Colombia: 35.11%
- Israel: 5.10%
- Ecuador: 31.38%
- Nigeria: 57.47%
- Philippines: 27.07%
- Dominican Republic: 49.54%
- Poland: 3.99%
- Russia: 14.89%
- Vietnam: 26.20%
- Peru: 28.53%
- Costa Rica: 9.91%
- Turkey: 17.49%
- Hong Kong SAR: 4.25%
- Saudi Arabia: 7.47%
- Indonesia: 12.81%
- South Africa: 7.31%
- Egypt: 32.15%
- Pakistan: 47.89%
- Jamaica: 54.46%
- Thailand: 22.17%
- Ukraine: 40.97%
- El Salvador: 51.49%
- Romania: 10.44%
- Malaysia: 4.94%
- Guatemala: 53.62%
- Honduras: 60.32%
- Panama: 11.71%
- Jordan: 42.62%
- Haiti: 67.59%
- Trinidad and Tobago: 19.28%
- Uruguay: 4.11%
- Venezuela: 74.28%
- Lebanon: 25.22%
- Bolivia: 22.19%
- Kenya: 41.59%
- Kuwait: 2.71%
- Belarus: 23.26%
- Bangladesh: 40.05%
- Ethiopia: 41.74%
- Nepal: 51.53%
- United Arab Emirates: 3.75%
- Ghana: 49.35%
- Algeria: 34.85%
This data reveals that the US B1/B2 visa rejection rates differ significantly across countries. Travelers should be aware of these rates when applying for a US visa from their respective countries.
Key points: US Visa Acceptance and Rejection Rate by Country
What is the US non-immigrant visa (NIV) approval rate?
In FY2021, there were 3,148,323 US non-immigrant visa applications, including B1/B2 visitor, F1 student, H1B work, C1/D transit, and J1 exchange visitor visas. Out of these, 356,240 applications were rejected, and 2,792,083 non-immigrant visas (NIVs) were granted. The approval and denial rates for US non-immigrant visas in 2021 were 88.68% and 11.32%, respectively.
What is the US B1/B2 visitor visa approval rate?
In 2018, the approval rates for the US B1 business, B2 tourist, and B1/B2 combination visitor visas were 88.49%, 58.25%, and 83.20%, respectively.
What is the US B1/B2 visitor visa approval rate by country?
The US B1/B2 visa approval and rejection rates vary by country. Some countries have a US visa approval rate as high as 95%. However, for most countries, the US B visa approval rate is over 75%. In 2021, the US visa approval rate by country was more than 90% for countries such as Argentina (97.69%), Papua New Guinea (96.55%), Peru (95.89%), Mexico (95.77%), Dominican Republic (95.67%), Croatia (95.35%), Japan (95.31%), Israel (95.08%), Hong Kong S.A.R. (94.72%), Indonesia (94.17%), and Austria.
What is the US H1B work visa approval rate?
In 2021, 66,307 applications were decided for the US H1B work visa. Out of these, 4,738 applications were refused, and 61,569 H1B visas were granted. The approval and denial rates for the US H1B work visa in 2021 were 92.85% and 7.15%, respectively.
What was the US F1 student visa denial rate in 2021?
In 2021, 446,422 applications were decided for the US F1 student visa for academic or language training programs. Out of these, 88,583 applications were rejected, and 357,839 F1 student visas were granted. The approval and denial rates for the US F1 student visa in 2021 were 80.16% and 19.84%, respectively.
What was the US J1 Exchange Visitor visa denial rate?
In 2021, 141,511 applications were decided for the US J1 Exchange Visitor visa. Out of these, 11,849 applications were refused, and 129,662 J1 Exchange Visitor visas were granted. The approval and denial rates for the US J1 Exchange Visitor visa in 2022021 were 91.63% and 8.37%, respectively.
For further details please refer U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs for detailed information on different visa categories, application procedures, and requirements.