This relates to UK visa from Ghana in 2023 and Embassy requirements for Ghanaians for tourist, student, spouse, and work visas, including fees and processing times. In 2023, London or England tourist visa price in Ghana is US$145 (aka 6 months UK Embassy visit visa application fee for Ghanaians). UK student and spouse visa fees requirements from Ghana in 2023 are US$619, and US$2,332, respectively. The cost of priority (visit, student, work) visa service in Ghana is US$632. UK visa processing time after biometrics in Ghana for visit, study, and work applications is usually 3 weeks.
Table of Contents
1. UK Visa from Ghana 2023
Ghanaians must apply for a visa to visit, work, study, or settle in the UK. The specific UK visa requirements for Ghanaians vary based on the application type.
The standard visitor visa is the most commonly applied-for UK visa from Ghana. Yet, Ghanaian citizens have options like student (Tier 4), skilled worker, health and care professional, and innovator founder visas for different travel purposes.
The UK visa fees in Ghana 2023 differ based on the visa type. Fees for tourist, student, and spouse visas stand at US$145, US$619, and US$2,332, respectively.
Travel expenses from Ghana to the UK can range between US$1,750 to US$5,225 per individual for a 7-15 day trip. For couples, costs span between US$3,500 and US$10,500, while families of four can expect to spend between US$7,000 and US$21,000.
In 2023, UK visa processing time in Ghana for non-settlement visit, study, and work applications is usually 3-weeks.
UK priority non-settlement visit, study, and work applications processing time from Ghana is normally 5 working days.
For non-settlement applications, UK priority visa fee in Ghana is US$632.
For family and spouse settlement applications, UK visa processing time in Ghana after biometrics are usually within 12 weeks.
Spouse priority settlement visa processing time for Ghanaian passport holders is 6-weeks.
The additional cost of UK priority settlement visa service from Ghana is US$632.
Visitor visas allow Ghanaians a maximum UK stay of 180 days per visit. Those on spouse, student, or work visas can remain for the visa’s validity period.
Ghanaians can also extend their stay by meeting specific Leave to Remain (LTR) criteria. Certain work and family routes, such as the Skilled Worker and Innovator visas, further enable Ghanaians to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and eventually Naturalisation and British Citizenship.
2. Visitor Visa from Ghana to UK 2023
Visiting the UK requires Ghanaians to obtain a visa, unless they have dual citizenship with countries that are visa-exempt, such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand, or EU Member States.
Standard Visitor Visa for UK from Ghana
The Standard Visitor Visa enables Ghanaians to participate in various activities like tourism, visiting family, attending business meetings, and short-term studies. Familiarizing yourself with the eligibility criteria is essential before applying.
To be eligible for a UK visitor visa, applicants must meet criteria related to their purpose of visit, financial security, and their arrangements for both lodging and return travel.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 40,740 Ghanaians applied for visitor visa UK. 37,459 applications resolved, 17,841 visit visas granted to Ghanaian nationals, and 19,325 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK visitor visa success and refusal rate from Ghana are 47.63% and 51.59%, respectively.
As of 2023, the UK visa application fees for Ghanaians are as follows: US$145 or a 6-month visa, US$505 for a 2-year visa, US$974 for a 5-year visa, and US$1,217 for a 10-year visa. All these categories restrict your stay to a maximum of 180 days per visit.
Ghanaian visa applicants should plan for a standard visitor visa processing time of about three weeks. Expedited services include one-week priority processing at US$632 and next working day super priority at US$1,263.
Tourist Visa for UK from Ghana
Ghanaian individuals applying for a UK tourist visa need to complete an online application form, pay the visa fee, and provide biometric information at a visa application center. The process also includes the submission of supporting documents.
- Evidence of intent to return to Ghana, such as employment or educational commitments
- Bank statements confirming adequate financial resources for the trip
- Detailed travel plans and proof of accommodations, like hotel bookings
To qualify, applicants need to prove they have adequate funds, generally between GBP 3,000 and 5,000, to cover their expenses while in the UK. This amount varies depending on the duration of the stay and how many people are traveling.
The Standard Visitor Visa is applicable for trips to London or any other region in England. Its application procedure entails submitting a form online, verifying documents, and collecting biometric data.
Other Visit Visa for UK from Ghana
- Marriage Visitor Visa: If you intend to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK, the Marriage Visitor Visa is your go-to option. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$145. Duration: Up to 180 days.
- Private Medical Treatment Visa: Should you be traveling to the UK for private medical treatment lasting between 6 and 11 months, you’ll need to apply for a Medical Treatment Visitor Visa. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$253. Note: Attendants must apply as visitors.
- Visiting Academics: Ghanaian academic professionals planning to engage in research or educational exchange can opt for a 12-month Academic Visit Visa. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$253.
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE): For specific short-term paid tasks like lecturing or assessing, the PPE visa is available for up to 30 days. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$145.
- Parent of Child Student Visa: For parents whose children are enrolled in fee-paying day schools in the UK, a 12-month Parent of Child Student Visa is available. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$805.
- Transit Visas for Ghanaian Citizens: Ghanaians traveling through the UK to another country must obtain a transit visa. Airside Transit Visa is priced at US$44, and Visitor in Transit Visa at US$81.
3. Study in UK from Ghana 2023
The UK Student Visa permits Ghanaians to pursue a range of educational opportunities in the UK, from higher education to Student Union roles.
For a successful UK Student Visa application, Ghanaians must satisfy specific criteria. These include a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a UK institution and proof of English language proficiency, commonly through an IELTS exam. Financial solvency for tuition and living costs is also mandatory.
Every visa type, including the Child Student Visa and Short-term (English Language) Visa, has its own set of important requirements.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 6,434 Ghanaians applied for student visa UK. 6,202 applications resolved, 5,659 student visas granted to Ghanaians, and 527 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK student visa success and refusal rate for Ghanaians are 91.24% and 8.50%, respectively.
For the UK Student Visa, the standard fee is US$619, processed in around 3 weeks. An accelerated service is offered for an added US$632. Students also have to pay a yearly Immigration Health Charge (IHS) of £624.
The short-term study visa is designed for Ghanaians studying English in the UK for 6-11 months, costing US$253. A 6-month course costs US$145.
- Students taking degree-level courses have the opportunity to work up to 20 hours each week during the academic term and can increase to full-time during vacations.
- For sub-degree level courses, the limit is 10 hours per week.
- Dependents of degree-level students can work; however, those of sub-degree students cannot.
Ghanaian graduates can avail a 2-year post-study work visa. PhD holders can get a 3-year visa.
4. Family Visa from Ghana to UK 2023
The family route is for those Ghanaians who can apply for a UK visa because of their relationship to a person settled in the UK or a British citizen. This includes spouse settlement visa, adult dependent relative, parent of a British Child visa etc.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 1,796 Ghanaians applied for family settlement visa UK. 1,367 applications resolved, 1,134 family settlement visas granted to Ghanaians, and 226 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK family (spouse) settlement visa success and refusal rate from Ghana are 82.96% and 16.53%, respectively.
UK Spouse or Partner Visa for Ghanaians
- Eligibility Requirements for Ghanaians: Ghanaian applicants must comply with the Appendix FM of the UK Immigration Rules. Essential requirements for the UK Spouse Visa include establishing a genuine and ongoing relationship, proving financial stability, having secure housing, and demonstrating English language competency.
- Visa Duration and Extension for Ghanaians: The visa is initially awarded for 33 months to Ghanaian citizens and can be extended for a further 30 months. After 5 years, applicants from Ghana can apply for ILR under the spouse route, provided they meet all the continuing conditions. A special 10-year route to settlement may be available under certain circumstances, like not fulfilling financial or English language criteria.
- Application Fees for Ghana: The base application fee for a spouse visa from Ghana is US$2,332. An additional fee of US$632 for expedited processing within 6 weeks raises the total cost to US$2,964.
Other Family Visa from Ghana to UK:
- Fiancé(e) Visa: For Ghanaians planning to marry or engage in a civil partnership in the UK. The visa lasts 6 months. After marrying or forming the partnership, they can switch to a spouse or civil partner visa. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$2,332.
- Parent of a British Child: For Ghanaians with sole guardianship of a British child. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$2,332.
- Adult Dependent Relative: For Ghanaians needing extended care from a UK relative. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$4,106.
- Returning Residents: Ghanaians who were previously settled in the UK and wish to return. UK Visa Fees in Ghana 2023: US$805.
5. Travel and Work in UK from Ghana 2023
The primary route for Ghanaians seeking UK employment is through the Skilled Worker Visa. Other options include visas like Innovator, Startup, Global Business Mobility, and Health and Care Worker.
To secure a UK work visa, Ghanaians need to meet varying requirements based on the type of work visa they are applying for.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 5,347 Ghanaians applied for work visa UK. 4,991 applications resolved, 4,626 work visas granted to Ghanaian nationals, and 279 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK work visa success and refusal rate from Ghana are 92.69% and 5.59%, respectively.
Skilled Worker Visa
Ghanaians can work in the UK under the Skilled Worker Visa. This visa is for those sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor for specific skilled roles. It offers a path to permanent UK settlement. The cost of the UK work visa for Ghanaian in 2023 stands at US$908 for up to three years and US$1,794 for longer durations.
The Shortage Occupation (Skilled Worker) Visa cost for Ghanaians is US$696 for up to three years and US$1,370 for durations longer than three years.
Health and Care Work Visa
This visa is specifically designed for qualified doctors, nurses, or allied health professionals from the Ghana who are sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It also provides a route to permanent UK settlement. The UK Work Visa for Ghanaian cost for this category in 2023 is US$359 for up to three years and US$696 for more extended periods.
Global Business Mobility Visa to UK for Ghanaians
An outline of UK work visas under the Global Business Mobility category is available for Ghanaian citizens, including the associated fees for 2023.
- Senior or Specialist Worker Visa: Designed for top-level managers or specialists from Ghana moving to a UK branch. Fees for Ghanaian applicants in 2023: US$908 for up to three years, US$1,794 for durations exceeding three years.
- Graduate Trainee Visa: For Ghanaian individuals in graduate programs leading to specialist roles in the UK. Fee: US$377.
- UK Expansion Worker Visa: For Ghanaian specialists or senior staff involved in extending a business into the UK. Fee: US$377.
- Service Supplier Visa: For Ghanaian professionals offering services in line with UK trade agreements. Fee: US$377.
- Secondment Worker Visa: Specifically for Ghanaians seconded to the UK for significant contracts or investment initiatives. Fee: US$377.
Quick Guide to Other Work and Business Visas:
Below is a brief overview of various UK visa categories along with their associated fees for Ghanaians looking to work or do business in the UK.
- Start-Up Visa: For Ghanaians starting an innovative business in the UK. Fee: US$550.
- Innovator Visa: For Ghanaians with innovative, viable, and scalable businesses. Fee: US$1,505. Requirements include an endorsement, £50,000 investment, and B2 IELTS level.
- Innovator Founder Visa (Launched 2023): Aimed at Ghanaian business innovators, replacing previous visa categories. Features an endorsement-based approval for potential UK family residency. Endorsement fee: US$1,263, Application fee: US$1,505.
- Investor Visa: For high-value Ghanaians investing in the UK. Fee: US$2,380.
- High Potential Individual (HPI) Visa: For Ghanaian graduates from top-50 global universities seeking employment in the UK. Fee: US$1,039.
- Scale-Up Visa: For Ghanaians with a job offer from an authorised UK scale-up company. Fee: US$1,039. Leads to potential UK settlement after 5 years.
- Global Talent Visa: For Ghanaians who are leaders or potential leaders in academia, research, arts, or digital technology. UK Visa Fee in Ghana vary: US$662 (Approval Letter for initial application), US$243 (Main Applicant with Approval Letter), US$905 (Main Applicant without Approval Letter and for Dependents).
- T2 Minister of Religion Visa: For Ghanaians intending to undertake preaching and pastoral work. UK Visa Fee in Ghana 2023: US$908
- International Sportsperson Visa: For elite Ghanaian sportspersons or coaches contributing to UK sports. UK Visa Fee in Ghana 2023: US$377 (up to 12 months COS) or US$908 (more than 12 months COS).
- T5 (Temporary Worker) Visa: For Ghanaians in various sectors, such as seasonal, religious, or creative workers. UK Visa Fee in Ghana 2023: US$377.
6. How to Apply for UK Visa in Ghana?
A comprehensive guide tailored for Ghanaians outlining the steps to apply for a UK visa. Follow this guide from determining your visa type to getting ready for your UK trip. Note: The estimated cost is based on a UK visitor visa, and priority service could shorten the process to 15 working days from 30.
Total Time: 30 days
Determine the Visa Type
Firstly, ascertain the specific visa category that aligns with your reason for traveling from Ghana to the UK.
Create an Online Account
Visit the official website of the UK government for visas and immigration and enroll for an account on the UK Visas and Immigration platform.
Fill Out the Application Form
Ghanaian applicants must complete the online application form diligently, ensuring every detail precisely corresponds with their submitted supporting documents.
Pay the Application Fee
Ghanaian users completing the UK visa application form will be navigated by the UKVI online system to a secure payment portal to safely finalize their application fee payment.
Assemble Your Supporting Documents
Depending on the type of visa, collect key documents such as your Ghanaian passport, proof of financial status, and UK accommodation details.
Schedule a VAC Appointment in Ghana
Ghanaians are not qualified to use the Immigration App for identity verification. As a result, it’s vital to book an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre (UKVAC) in Ghana.
Attend the VAC Appointment
Make your way to the nearest UKVAC, carrying all essential documents, and undergo the biometric verification as indicated in your appointment schedule.
Await Visa Decision
The processing of your UK visa application starts once it’s submitted. Decisions typically take 3 weeks, but with priority service, it’s shortened to 5 working days.
Passport Collection or Delivery
Collect your passport with the visa from the VAC, or opt for courier service delivery. In case of visitor visa denial, you can reapply or opt for a Judicial Review. Appeals are only viable if your application was on human rights grounds. Common reasons for visa refusal, such as suspicious intentions and significant unexplained bank transactions, are detailed here.
Prepare for Your UK Journey
With your visa secured, plan your UK travel and familiarize yourself with the terms of your visa.
Estimated Cost: 145 USD
- Application form
- Valid Ghanaian Passport
- Recent passport-sized photos
- Invitation letter (if applicable)
- Payment for visa fee in USD
- Proof of UK accommodation
- Internet access
- Ghanaian Passport
- Financial documents
Materials: Xerox of key papers, Printout of online application, Mailing envelope for document submission.
- Accra Visa Application Centre: Movenpick Ambassador Hotel, Emporium Building, 1st floor, Accra, Ghana
For further details please refer to find a visa application centre.
7. Required Documents for UK Visa from Ghana
- Valid Passport: Must be valid for the duration of your UK stay.
- Application Form: Completed on the UK Visas and Immigration portal.
- Proof of Accommodation: Details of your UK stay.
- Financial Proof: Evidence of financial capability.
- Travel Itinerary: Outline of travel plans.
- Proof of Ties to Ghana: To show intent to return.
- English Language Proficiency: When required, generally via an accredited test.
Essential Document Guide: This list details the primary documents essential for all categories of UK visas. Do look into the specific guidelines for your visa type to ascertain if additional documents are needed.
- Work Visas: Includes employment offer and Certificate of Sponsorship.
- Study Visas: Requires Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- Family Visas: Requires relationship proofs.
- Tourist Visas: Additional trip details may be necessary.
Providing documents from a UK sponsor can enhance your visa application, particularly for sponsorship-required visas like family or work visas.
- Letter of Invitation
- Sponsor’s Immigration Status
- Financial Documents
- Accommodation Proof
- Relationship Evidence
Remember: Sponsor documents are supplementary; meeting the primary visa criteria is crucial.
8. FAQs: UK Visa from Ghana 2023 Fees and Requirements
How much is the UK tourist visa fee for Ghanaians in 2023?
In 2023, the tourist visa price for Ghanaians visiting the UK is US$145.
What are the UK student and spouse visa fees for Ghanaians in 2023?
The UK student and spouse visa fees for Ghanaians in 2023 are US$619 and US$2,332, respectively.
What is the cost of priority visa service in Ghana?
The cost of priority visa service in Ghana is US$632.
How long is the UK visa processing time after biometrics in Ghana?
The UK visa processing time in Ghana after biometrics for visit, study, and work applications is typically 3 weeks.
Can Ghanaians travel to the UK?
Yes, Ghanaians can travel to the UK with the appropriate visa. For detailed requirements, please refer to the relevant sections in this guide.
What are the requirements for Ghanaians applying for a UK student visa?
The exact requirements for a UK student visa may vary. The basic requirements usually include a valid passport, proof of acceptance into a UK-based institution, and proof of financial stability, among others.
What are the fees and requirements for a UK family visa application from Ghana?
The UK family visa fees for Ghanaians in 2023 is US$2,332. The requirements typically include proof of relationship and evidence of the sponsor’s ability to support the visa holder. Please check the specific section in this guide for detailed requirements.
What are the fees and requirements for a UK work visa application from Ghana in 2023?
The fees and requirements for a UK work visa application from Ghana in 2023 can vary based on the type of work visa you’re applying for.
Can Ghanaians Work on Visiting Visa in the UK?
Ghanaians visiting the UK are not allowed to do work. Ghanaians travelling on a visitor visa needs to abide the conditions of stay in the UK. If the Home Office finds a visiting Ghanaian breaching their conditions of stay, then may cancel the visitor visa with a re-entry ban.