This post relates to UK Student Visa Types and provides a working understanding of short-term student visa UK and when applying for a Tier 4 student visa is a better option.
UK Student Visa Types
There are three routes to study in the UK i.e. short-term student visa, Tier 4 Student (and also Tier 4 Child Student) and studying on a visitor visa. The details of which are as under:
Student Visitor Visa UK Types
The short-term student visa is for those, who intend to visit the UK to study a short duration course, which does not include either a work placement or a work experience. The short-term student visa is previously called student visitor visa.
There are three (3) types short-term student routes:
- short-term student six (6) months – applicants having an age of eighteen (18) years and more can study any suitable course in the UK for a maximum period of six (6) months;
- short-term student eleven (11) months – for applicants aged eighteen (18) and over for a maximum of eleven (11) months for studying an English Language course only;
- short-term student (child) – for applicants aged under eighteen (18) to study a course in the UK for a maximum duration of six (6) months;
Tier 4 Student Visa UK
Those who intend to visit the UK to study one of the following types of courses are required to apply for a visa under Points-Based System (PBS) Tier 4 route:
- an English language course that lasts longer than eleven (11) months;
- any other course that lasts longer than six (6) months;
- a course that involves a work placement/experience.
Can You Study in the UK on a Tourist Visa?
As explained in our posts on the study for visitors, a person on a visitor visa to the UK for instance as a tourist or family visitor can pursue a course of study for up to thirty (30) days. However, studying should not be the main purpose of the visit.
Back to Top | UK Student Visa Types
Related Posts on UK Immigration Blog:
- Short-Term Study Visa UK Statement of Changes Jan 11, 2018
- UK Short Term Study Visa Multiple Entry for a Genuine Student
- English Language Student Visa UK Requirements
- Short-Term Study Visa UK Requirements
- Short-Term Study Visa Rules UK
- Short Term Student Child Visa UK
See also: Immigration Rules Part 3: Students