This relates to UK Visas for Thai Citizens and Girlfriend 2023: Application Fees and Entry Requirements from Thailand. In 2023, London or England tourist visa price in Thailand is US$129 (aka 6 months UK Embassy visit visa application fee for Thai Citizens). UK student and spouse visa fees requirements from Thailand in 2023 are US$467, and US$1,980, respectively. The cost of priority (visit, student, work) visa service in Thailand is US$322. UK visa processing time after biometrics in Thailand for visit, study, and work applications is usually 3 weeks.
Table of Contents
1. UK Visa from Thailand 2023
Can Thai Citizens Travel to UK?
Thai Citizens looking to visit, work, or study in the UK must apply for the appropriate visa. The requirements vary depending on the type of visa application.
How much is UK Visa Fee in Thailand?
The cost of a UK visa for Thai Citizens depends on the visa type. For instance, tourist, student, and spouse visas are priced at US$129, US$467, and US$1,980, respectively.
How Long is UK Visa Processing in Thailand?
In 2023, standard processing times for non-settlement visas like tourist, study, and work visas typically take around 3 weeks.
Choosing the priority service can expedite this to 5 working days, with an additional fee of US$322.
Spouse Settlement Visa Processing Time for Thai Citizens
For spouse, partner, or family applications, the standard settlement visa processing time after biometrics is up to 12 weeks.
Priority service for these types of visas is available at a 6-week processing time for an extra fee of US$738.
Super Priority Visa Processing Time in Thailand
The super-priority service fee is US$1,231 for next-working-day processing. However, this service is currently not available in Thailand.
How much does it cost to travel to UK from Thailand?
To travel from Thailand to the UK, you may need a minimum of $1,750 USD for a 7-15 day trip per person. Key costs include:
- Visa Fee: Starts at $129 for a short-term visa.
- Priority Service Fee: Optional, around $322.
- Flight Cost: Varies, often between $700-$1,200.
- Living Expenses: Budget for accommodation, food, and travel within the UK.
- Travel Insurance: Costs vary based on coverage.
For a solo traveler, the estimated costs range from $1,750 to $5,225 USD, which includes all the above expenses in addition to daily living costs. Couples can expect to pay between $3,500 and $10,500 USD, with the only shared cost being accommodation. For a family of four, estimated expenses can range from $7,000 to $21,000 USD, factoring in individual flight and visa fees and potentially shared accommodation.
These figures are approximate and should be used for planning purposes only. Always confirm current prices and consider a contingency fund for unexpected expenses. Exchange rates between Thai Baht and British Pounds will also affect your budget.
How long can Thai Citizens stay in the UK?
Visitor visas allow Thai Citizens a stay of up to 180 days per visit in the UK.
For spouse, student, and work visas, the duration of stay aligns with the visa validity.
Extensions for these visas are possible by fulfilling leave to remain (LTR) requirements.
Get Expert Guidance for All Types of UK Visa and Immigration Applications, Reapplications, Refusals, and Appeals.
2. UK Visitor Visa for Thai National 2023
Can a Thai Person Visit the UK?
Thai citizens are required to apply for a visa to travel to the United Kingdom. The only exception to this rule is for those holding dual citizenship with visa-exempt countries such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand, or the EU Member States.
UK Visitor Visa for Thai National
The standard visitor visa is a versatile option that allows Thai nationals to engage in tourism, family visits, business-related activities, and even short-term studies. Before applying, it’s important to be familiar with the eligibility criteria.
Essential Criteria: UK Visitor Visa from Thailand
The UK immigration authorities examine multiple aspects such as the clarity of the visit purpose, financial stability, accommodation plans, and compelling evidence of intended departure back to Thailand.
For the year ending September 2022, out of 42,413 visa applications resolved for Thai nationals, 39,884 were granted, while 2,058 were rejected. The success and refusal rates stood at 94.04% and 4.85%, respectively.
UK Visa Fee Thailand for Visitors
In 2023, the UK visa application fees from Thailand are categorized as follows: US$129 for a 6-month visa, US$484 for a 2-year visa, US$862 for a 5-year visa, and US$1,077 for a 10-year visa. All these visa categories limit your stay to a maximum of 180 days per visit.
The standard visitor visa processing time is approximately three weeks. However, applicants can opt for expedited services. A one-week priority service is available at a charge of US$322, and the next working day super priority service is priced at US$1,231.
UK Tourist Visa for Thai Citizen
Applying for a UK tourist visa entails a multi-step process that starts with filling out the online application form. Payment of the visa fee (US$129) and submission of biometric data at a visa application center are the subsequent steps. Thai nationals must also provide certain supporting documents.
Required Documentation for UK Tourist Visa from Thailand
- Proof of intent to return to Thailand, backed by employment contracts or educational enrollments
- Bank statements showing sufficient funds for the duration of the stay
- A detailed travel itinerary and proof of accommodation, such as hotel reservations
Show Money for UK Tourist Visa from Thailand
Applicants must demonstrate adequate funds, typically between GBP 3,000-5,000, to cover all travel, accommodation, and living expenses during their UK stay.
The required amount increases with the number of travelers. For example, a single traveler might need a bank balance exceeding GBP 3,000 for a one-week trip costing an estimated GBP 1,800.
Can My Thai Girlfriend Visit Me in the UK?
Your Thai girlfriend would require a Standard UK Visitor Visa. The process includes an online application, visa fee payment, and an appointment for biometric data and document submission.
London Visa from Thailand
If your trip is specifically to London, the standard visitor visa will suffice. The application process is similar and involves online form submission, document verification, and biometric data collection.
Other UK Visitor Visas from Thailand
- Marriage Visitor Visa: If you intend to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK, the Marriage Visitor Visa is your go-to option. UK Visa for Thai Citizen Cost 2023: US$129. Duration: Up to 180 days.
- Private Medical Treatment Visa: Should you be traveling to the UK for private medical treatment lasting between 6 and 11 months, you’ll need to apply for a Medical Treatment Visitor Visa. UK Visa for Thai Citizen Cost 2023: US$257. Note: Attendants must apply as visitors.
- Visiting Academics: Thai academic professionals planning to engage in research or educational exchange can opt for a 12-month Academic Visit Visa. UK Visa for Thai Citizen Cost 2023: US$257.
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE): For specific short-term paid tasks like lecturing or assessing, the PPE visa is available for up to 30 days. UK Visa for Thai Citizen Cost 2023: US$129.
- Parent of Child Student Visa: For parents whose children are enrolled in fee-paying day schools in the UK, a 12-month Parent of Child Student Visa is available. UK Visa for Thai Citizen Cost 2023: US$684.
- Transit Visas: For brief transits through the UK en route to another country, a transit visa is needed. Airside Transit Fee: US$45; Visitor in Transit: US$82.
Note: Holding a standard, marriage, or medical visitor visa negates the need for a separate transit visa.
3. Study in the UK from Thailand 2023
UK Student Visa Requirements for Thai Citizens
The UK Student Visa permits Thai citizens to pursue a range of educational opportunities in the UK, from higher education to Student Union roles.
Key Requirements: Student Visa UK for Thai Nationals
For a successful UK Student Visa application, Thai Nationals must satisfy specific criteria. These include a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a UK institution and proof of English language proficiency, commonly through an IELTS exam. Financial solvency for tuition and living costs is also mandatory.
Different visa types like Child Student Visa and Short-term (English Language) Visa have distinct requirements. Adherence to the rules for each visa type is crucial.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 4,611 Thais applied for student visa UK. 4,645 applications resolved, 4,617 student visas granted to Thais, and 13 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK student visa success and refusal rate for Thais are 99.40% and 0.28%, respectively.
UK Student Visa Fees for Thai Nationals
The standard UK Student Visa fee is US$467, with a processing time of around 3 weeks. Expedited service is available for an additional US$322.
All students must also pay the Immigration Health Charge (IHS) at £624 annually.
Short-term English Language Visa
The short-term study visa is designed for Thai Nationals studying English in the UK for 6-11 months, costing US$257. A 6-month course costs US$129.
Work Rights for Thai Students
- Students on degree-level courses can work up to 20 hours per week during term and full-time during breaks.
- For sub-degree level courses, the limit is 10 hours per week.
- Dependents of degree-level students can work; however, those of sub-degree students cannot.
Post-Study Work Opportunities
Thai graduates can avail a 2-year post-study work visa. PhD holders can get a 3-year visa.
4. Family Visas for the UK 2023
UK Visas for Thai Nationals under Appendix FM
The UK Family Visa under Appendix FM allows citizens to join family members who are either settled in the UK or British citizens. Categories range from spouse visas to adult dependent relatives and parent of a British child visas.
Key Criteria: UK Family Visa for Thai Citizens
Applicants must satisfy essential requirements, such as a genuine relationship with a UK resident, financial stability, and English language proficiency. An Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is also mandatory for all applicants.
Family Visa Statistics
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 957 Thais applied for family settlement visa UK. 633 applications resolved, 588 family settlement visas granted to Thais, and 40 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK family (spouse) settlement visa success and refusal rate from Thailand are 92.89% and 6.32%, respectively.
Spouse or Partner Visa Specifications
- Eligibility: Applicants must meet requirements as outlined in Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, including a genuine relationship, financial stability, secure housing, and English language skills.
- Validity & Extensions: Initially spouse visa is granted for 33 months, extendable after 30 months. Eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after five years.
- Cost: Standard fees are US$1,980, with an optional expedited service costing an additional US$738.
Other Family Visas:
- Fiancé(e) Visa: For Thai Citizens planning to marry or engage in a civil partnership in the UK. The visa lasts 6 months. After marrying or forming the partnership, they can switch to a spouse or civil partner visa. UK Visa for Citizens Cost 2023: US$1,980.
- Parent of a British Child: For Thai Citizens with sole guardianship of a British child. UK Visa for Citizens Cost 2023: US$1,980.
- Adult Dependent Relative: For Thai Citizens needing extended care from a UK relative. UK Visa for Citizens Cost 2023: US$4,184.
- Returning Residents: Thai Citizens who were previously settled in the UK and wish to return. UK Visa for Citizens Cost 2023: US$684.
5. UK Work Visa for Thai Citizens 2023
Can a Thai person work in the UK?
The primary route for Thai Citizens seeking UK employment is through the Skilled Worker Visa. Other options include visas like Innovator, Startup, Global Business Mobility, and Health and Care Worker.
Essential Criteria: UK Work Permit for Thai Citizens
To secure a UK work visa, Thai citizens need to meet varying requirements based on the type of work visa they are applying for.
For most employment-based visas like the Skilled Worker visa, obtaining a job offer from a UK employer registered with the Home Office is crucial. The employer then provides a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). Additional standard prerequisites include passing an English language test and providing evidence of adequate financial resources. However, for business-oriented visas such as the Innovator Founder Visa, a job offer is not required; instead, applicants must secure an endorsement from an approved endorsing body and present a viable business plan. Regardless of the visa type, demonstrating a genuine intention to work or conduct business in the UK is essential.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 619 Thais applied for work visa UK. 606 applications resolved, 571 work visas granted to Thai nationals, and 30 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK work visa success and refusal rate from Thailand are 94.22% and 4.95%, respectively.
Skilled Worker Visa
Thai Citizens can work in the UK under the Skilled Worker Visa. This visa is for those sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor for specific skilled roles. It offers a path to permanent UK settlement. The cost of the UK work visa for Thai National in 2023 stands at US$805 for up to three years and US$1,590 for longer durations.
Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation) Visa
This is a specialized category of the Skilled Worker Visa with reduced fees. The cost is US$617 for up to three years and US$1,214 for durations longer than three years.
Health and Care Work Visa
This visa is specifically designed for qualified doctors, nurses, or allied health professionals from the Thailand who are sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It also provides a route to permanent UK settlement. The UK Work Visa for Thai National cost for this category in 2023 is US$318 for up to three years and US$617 for more extended periods.
Global Business Mobility Visa
A brief overview of UK work visas available for Thai Citizens under the Global Business Mobility category, along with their 2023 fees.
- Senior or Specialist Worker: For high-level managers or specialists transferring to a UK branch. Fee: US$805 for up to three years, US$1,590 for over three years.
- Graduate Trainee: For individuals in graduate programs leading to specialist roles in the UK. Fee: US$333.
- UK Expansion Worker: For specialists or senior personnel expanding a business into the UK. Fee: US$333.
- Service Supplier: For individuals providing services as per UK trade commitments. Fee: US$333.
- Secondment Worker: Specifically for Thai Citizens seconded to the UK for high-value contracts or investments. Fee: US$333.
Quick Guide to Other Work and Business Visas:
Below is a brief overview of various UK visa categories along with their associated fees for Thai Citizens looking to work or do business in the UK.
- Start-Up Visa: For Thai Citizens starting an innovative business in the UK. Fee: US$487.
- Innovator Visa: For Thai Citizens with innovative, viable, and scalable businesses. Fee: US$1,334. Requirements include an endorsement, £50,000 investment, and B2 IELTS level.
- Innovator Founder Visa (Introduced April 2023): Replaces older Innovator and Startup visas. Streamlined for international entrepreneurs with endorsement-based approval. Leads to potential permanent UK residency for family members. Endorsement Fees: US$1,290, Application Fees: US$1,334
- Investor Visa: For high-value Thai Citizens investing in the UK. Fee: US$2,109.
- High Potential Individual (HPI) Visa: For Thai graduates from top-50 global universities seeking employment in the UK. Fee: US$920.
- Scale-Up Visa: For Thai Citizens with a job offer from an authorised UK scale-up company. Fee: US$920. Leads to potential UK settlement after 5 years.
- Global Talent Visa: For Thai Citizens who are leaders or potential leaders in academia, research, arts, or digital technology. UK Visa Fee Thailand vary: US$587 (Approval Letter for initial application), US$215 (Main Applicant with Approval Letter), US$802 (Main Applicant without Approval Letter and for Dependants).
- T2 Minister of Religion Visa: For Thai Citizens intending to undertake preaching and pastoral work. UK Visa Fees Thailand 2023: US$805
- International Sportsperson Visa: For elite Thai National sportspersons or coaches contributing to UK sports. UK Visa Fees Thailand 2023: US$333 (up to 12 months COS) or US$805 (more than 12 months COS).
- T5 (Temporary Worker) Visa: For Thai Citizens in various sectors, such as seasonal, religious, or creative workers. UK Visa Fees Thailand 2023: US$333.
6. UK Visa for Thai Girlfriend 2023
Visa for Thai Girlfriend to UK
The UK offers different types of visas depending on your intent. For a Thai girlfriend visiting for tourism, the relevant option is a Standard Visitor Visa. For marital intentions, the Marriage Visitor Visa is required. If planning to settle in the UK, a Fiancée or Spouse Visa is applicable.
UK Visa for Thai girlfriend Cost
Cost varies by visa type. For a 6-month visit visa, the cost is US$129. For a spouse visa, the cost is US$1,980.
How to Get UK Visa for Thai Girlfriend?
Follow these steps to secure a UK visa for your Thai girlfriend:
- Choose the Correct Visa: Determine which visa aligns with her visit’s purpose.
- Prepare the Necessary Documents: Gather relevant documents like passport, proof of relationship, and proof of financial stability.
- Application: Apply online and pay the fee.
- Biometric Information: Provide her biometric details.
- Wait for Decision: After application submission, wait for a decision.
Can my Thai girlfriend come to the UK for a holiday?
Yes, but she must apply for a Standard Visitor Visa. The assessment will be based on:
- Purpose of Visit: Clearly state tourism as the intent.
- Financial Stability: Prove financial self-sufficiency.
- Return Assurance: Confirm plans to leave the UK after the visit.
UK Visa Invitation Letter for Girlfriend
Writing an invitation letter involves outlining the visit’s purpose and your relationship. [Insert Sample Letter Here].
[Your Full Name]
[Your Full Address]
[City, State, Zip Code]
[UK Visa Application Centre Address]
To Whom It May Concern,
Re: Invitation Letter for [Girlfriend’s Full Name], Passport No: XXXXXXX
I am writing to confirm that I wish to invite my girlfriend, [Girlfriend’s Full Name], to visit me in the United Kingdom for [length of the visit, e.g., 2 weeks] to [purpose, e.g., spend holidays and engage in tourist activities]. She will be staying with me at my residence for the duration of her visit. I am a [Your Nationality] citizen and a [Your Occupation].
We have been in a genuine relationship for [length of your relationship, e.g., 2 years]. I am financially stable, earning an annual salary of [Your Salary], and am fully capable of accommodating and supporting her during her stay in the UK.
[Girlfriend’s Full Name] will be staying at my residence located at [Your Full Address].
I will bear all financial responsibilities for her stay, including the round-trip airfare, internal travels, accommodation, and her daily expenses.
I am providing the following documents to support this invitation:
- Photocopy of my passport and UK residence permit.
- Bank statements for the last 3 months.
- Proof of address (utility bill or lease agreement).
- Return flight booking confirmation for [Girlfriend’s Full Name].
Her travel details are as follows:
- Arrival: [Arrival Date]
- Departure: [Departure Date]
- Flight: [Flight details]
I earnestly request you to grant her the necessary visa to visit me in the United Kingdom.
[Your Full Name]
Please note that this is a sample letter, and you might need to tailor it according to your own circumstances. Attach all supporting documents to substantiate the facts stated in the letter.
Can my Thai girlfriend work in the UK?
For employment, a Skilled Worker Visa is needed, which requires a job offer from a UK employer.
I want to marry my Thai girlfriend in the UK
If you intend to marry, she should apply for either a Marriage Visitor Visa or a Fiancée Visa, based on whether she plans to stay in the UK post-marriage or not.
7. How to Apply for UK Visa from Thailand?
UK Visa Requirements for Thai Citizens
A comprehensive guide tailored for Thai nationals outlining the steps to apply for a UK visa. Follow this guide from determining your visa type to getting ready for your UK trip. Note: The estimated cost is based on a UK visitor visa, and priority service could shorten the process to 15 working days from 30.
Total Time: 30 days
Step 1: Determine the Visa Type
Firstly, ascertain the specific visa category that aligns with your reason for traveling from Thailand to the UK.
Step 2: Create an Online Account
Proceed to the official UK government website focused on visas and immigration. Register an account on the UK Visas and Immigration platform.
Step 3: Fill Out the Application Form
Complete the relevant online application form, making sure that all details align with your supporting documents.
Step 4: Pay the Application Fee
Once you’ve completed the form, the system will navigate you to the online payment gateway to finalize your application fee.
Step 5: Assemble Your Supporting Documents
Depending on the type of visa, collect key documents such as your Thai passport, proof of financial status, and UK accommodation details.
Step 6: Schedule a VAC Appointment in Thailand
Thai nationals are not qualified to use the Immigration App for identity verification. As a result, it’s vital to book an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre (UKVAC) in Thailand.
Step 7: Attend the VAC Appointment
Arrive at the Visa Application Centre with all your supporting documents and undergo the biometric verification as per your appointment guidelines.
Step 8: Await Visa Decision
Post-submission, your application enters the processing stage. You will be informed once the decision is made.
Step 9: Passport Collection or Delivery
You can either collect your passport with the visa from the VAC or opt for a courier service for delivery.
Step 10: Prepare for Your UK Journey
With your visa secured, plan your UK travel and familiarize yourself with the terms of your visa.
Estimated Cost: 129 USD
- Application form
- Valid Thailand Passport
- Recent passport-sized photos
- Invitation letter (if applicable)
- Payment for visa fee in USD
- Proof of UK accommodation
- Internet access
- Thailand Passport
- Financial documents
Materials: Photocopies of original documents, Printed application confirmation, Postal envelope (if mailing documents)
VFS Thailand Locations
- The Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumvit Soi 13, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
- HMPO, The Trendy Office Building, 8th Floor, Sukhumvit Soi 13, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
- Hyatt Regency Hotel, 1 Sukhumvit Soi 13, Khet Watthana, Bangkok 10110
- Thanya Park, 735 Srinakarin Road, Suanluang, Bangkok 10250 (VAN located behind Building B, 1st Floor)
- Siripanich Building, 6th Floor, Huay Kaew Road, Mueng, Chiang Mai 50200
- 888 Pradit Manutham Rd, Khlong Chan, Bang Kapi, Bangkok 10240 (VAN opposite Starbucks)
- VFS Thailand, G Floor, Door #10, 299 Charoen Nakhon Rd, Khwaeng Khlong Ton Sai, Bangkok 10600
- Siam Paragon Mall, M Floor, Scarlet Parking, 991 Rama 1 Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330
For more information, refer to the official visa application centre directory.
8. UK Visa Document Checklist Thailand
Required Supporting Documents for UK Visa for Thai Citizens
- Valid Passport: Must be valid for the duration of your UK stay.
- Application Form: Completed on the UK Visas and Immigration portal.
- Proof of Accommodation: Details of your UK stay.
- Financial Proof: Evidence of financial capability.
- Travel Itinerary: Outline of travel plans.
- Proof of Ties to Thailand: To show intent to return.
- English Language Proficiency: When required, generally via an accredited test.
Note: The list outlines essential primary documents for all UK visa categories. Check specific guidelines for additional requirements based on your visa type.
Documentation Based on Visa Type
- Work Visas: Includes employment offer and Certificate of Sponsorship.
- Study Visas: Requires Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- Family Visas: Requires relationship proofs.
- Tourist Visas: Additional trip details may be necessary.
For UK-Based Sponsors
Providing documents from a UK sponsor can enhance your visa application, particularly for sponsorship-required visas like family or work visas.
- Letter of Invitation
- Sponsor’s Immigration Status
- Financial Documents
- Accommodation Proof
- Relationship Evidence
Remember: Sponsor documents are supplementary; meeting the primary visa criteria is crucial.
UK Visa from Thailand 2023: Answers to the Common Questions
Do Thai Citizens Need to Apply for UK Visa?
Thais need to apply for a visa if they intend to visit, work, study, or settle in the UK. UK visa requirements for Thais depends on the type of application. For instance, if Thai passport holders are applying for UK visit or tourist visa, then need to meet the requirements of Appendix V for Visitors, Immigration Rules.
How much is UK Visa Fee in Thailand?
UK visa fee requirements in Thailand depends on the type of application. For instance, UK tourist, student, and spouse visa fees in Thailand are US$129, US$467, and US$1,980, respectively.
How Long Does It Take to Process UK Visa in Thailand?
In 2023, non-settlement visit, study, and work visa application processing time in Thailand is usually 3-weeks. UK priority non-settlement visit, study, and work applications processing time from Thailand is normally 5 working days. The additional cost of UK priority (non-settlement) visa service from Thailand is US$322.
What is Spouse Settlement Visa Processing Time for Thais in 2023?
The UK settlement visa processing time after biometrics from Thailand for spouse, partner, family applications are usually within 12 weeks. Spouse priority settlement visa processing time for Thai passport holders is 6-weeks. The additional cost of UK priority settlement visa service from Thailand is US$738.
How much is UK Super Priority Visa Fee in Thailand?
Super-priority service fee in Thailand is US$1,231 to process UK visa applications by next working day. However, the super priority service is not operational in Thailand.
How long can Thais stay in the UK?
On a visitor (holiday or tourist) visa Thais can stay in the UK up to 180 days per visit. Thais on a spouse, student, and work visa in the UK can stay up to the validity of the visa. Thais on valid spouse, work, and student visa can extend their duration of stay in the UK by meeting the relevant leave to remain (LTR) requirements. Family and some work routes such as Skilled Worker, Innovator etc. also enable Thai migrants in the UK to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and subsequently Naturalisation and British Citizenship.