This post explains the purpose and permitted activities in the UK on Standard Visitor Visa, which is required for visiting the UK as a Family, General Tourist, Child, Sports, Entertainer and Private Medical Treatment Visitor. Business Visitor, including visas for academics, doctors, and dentists and Prospective Entrepreneur are also required to apply for Standard Visit Visa. The UK Standard Visitor Visa also covers Approved Destination Status.
Purpose of Visiting the UK
One can only apply for a Standard Visitor visa if he/she intends to visit the UK for the following reasons:
- Tourism: leisure and sightseeing – either for the first time or at periodic intervals.
- To visit the UK either to meet family and relatives or to see friends.
- For conducting matters relating to business such as:
- meeting the distributors in the UK if the applicant is an exporter of goods from Pakistan to the UK.
- inspecting machinery and negotiation with the exporter in the UK, if one is an importer/manufacturer,
- to attend a conference, meeting or training.
- An academic doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme.
- Either a Doctor or a dentist is coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post.
- The applicants coming for a Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
- A prospective entrepreneur visiting UK to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.
- Take part in sports.
- To participate in creative events.
- Receiving private medical treatment.
If you are interested to know more about the Purpose of visiting the UK then read our post on UK Visitor Visa Applications Assessments and Reasons for Refusal.
Permitted Activities During Stay
The applicant can undertake the following activities:
- conduct any type of business-related activities mentioned in the UK Visitor Rules.
- study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit.
- take part in an exchange program or educational visit (if the applicant is under 18).
- convert your civil partnership into a marriage.
However, an applicant can not do paid or unpaid work, live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits, get public funds, marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.
For more on permitted activities please read our posts on UK Family and Tourist Visitor Visa, UK Business Visitor Visa, Medical Treatment for Visitors, Study for Visitors and Suitability of Visitor Visa: Cancelling and Curtailing Leave.
Other Types of UK Visitor Visas
UK Visitor Visa Refusal- Reapply or Challenge?
If your family visitor visa, business visitor visa, UK visitor visa as a general tourist, or any other type of Standard UK Visitor Visa has been refused then may read our posts on Remedies for UK Visa Refusal and Challenge UK Visa Refusal.
Standard Visit Visa Processing Time and Application Fee
Case Processing, Documentation and Representation
Lastly, if you are interested in knowing the details of the documents you intend to submit with the UK Visit Visa Application then please go to UK Visit Visa Documents Checklist.