UK Visa Fee Sweden 2023 outlines the updated visa requirements and fees for Swedish citizens post-Brexit. As of 1 January 2021, Swedes are required to apply for visas to work, study, or settle in the UK, while visas are not necessary for short visits. For non-EU nationals residing in Sweden, such as Indians and South Africans, a visa is mandatory even for short holidays. The cost for various visa types from Sweden are as follows: €138 for a 6-month visit, €589 for students, €864 for skilled workers, and €2,218 for spouse visas.
Table of Contents
1. UK Visa from Sweden 2023
Swedish citizens do not need a visa for short visits to the UK for tourism, business meetings, and academic conferences, among other activities. They can stay in the UK for up to six months without a visa. However, for long-term stays involving work, study, or settlement, a specific UK visa corresponding to the purpose of the stay is required.
Business travel has seen notable changes. While short business meetings might not necessitate a visa, activities like contracting, selling goods directly to the public, or providing services might require specific business visas. Swedish business travelers are advised to check the exact nature of their trip against UK visa specifications.
Do I Need a Visa for UK from Sweden?
Whether you need a visa to enter the UK from Sweden depends on your nationality and the purpose and duration of your visit.
- UK Visa for EU Residents from Sweden: Following Brexit’s conclusion on December 31, 2020, the automatic live or work rights in the UK for EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens have been revoked. Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by June 30, 2021, if residing in the UK before 2021. From January 1, 2021, visas are required for work, studying, and family settlement. For up to 6-month tourist visits, only a passport is necessary.
- Note that Irish citizens retain visa-free entry to the UK under the CTA agreement.
- UK Visa for Swedish Residents (Non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens): If you’re a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen residing in Sweden, your requirement for a UK visa will depend on your nationality. For instance, an Indian passport holder living in Sweden would need to apply for a UK visa for most purposes.
UK Visa from Sweden for Indian Passport Holder
Indian and Pakistani passport holders in Sweden, being non-EU residents, must acquire a UK visa for activities like visiting, working, studying, or family settlement. They require a UK visit visa for short holidays or visits, usually processed within 10-15 working days, with expedited service available. Biometrics are submitted at TLS centres across Sweden. Indian applicants may need additional documents, such as a Swedish Residence Permit, and typically go to the TLS centre in Stockholm for biometric submissions.
Cost of Moving from UK to Sweden and Vice Versa
Moving between the UK and the Sweden involves both the physical relocation of belongings and a change in immigration status. For UK citizens moving to Sweden post-Brexit, a residence permit for work or study is typically required. The application process can take several weeks and may cost around €864 per applicant for three years work permit.
Physical moving expenses vary widely, depending on the amount of goods and the moving service used. Comprehensive moving services can go above €3,500. Choosing to pack yourself and using a freight service can be more economical, though it requires extra labor and time. On average, such moves are completed within 1-2 weeks.
2. UK Visit Visa from Sweden 2023
Swedish citizens, as non-visa nationals, typically do not require a visa for UK visits lasting up to 6 months. However, non-EU nationals residing in Sweden must obtain a visa for tourism or other types of visits to the UK. In line with Paragraph V 1.3 of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, Swedish citizens need a UK visa in certain situations:
- When planning to marry or establish a civil partnership in the UK, or to give notice of such an intention.
- If intending to extend their stay in the UK for more than six months.
Standard Visitor Visa UK from Sweden
The standard visitor visa is for tourism, family visits, business meetings, short-term studies, and other allowed activities. Swedish and EU residents in Sweden typically don’t need a standard visa to visit the UK. However, non-EU residents like Indian or Pakistani passport holders must apply for a standard visa to visit the UK.
To secure a UK Visit Visa from Sweden, applicants must satisfy multiple criteria. The foremost requirement is stating the clear purpose of the visit, whether it’s tourism, business, or visiting family. Applicants also need to provide proof of financial means to support their stay in the UK, along with evidence of accommodation arrangements. Furthermore, proof of onward or return travel is required to ensure the applicant intends to leave the UK after the visit. Meeting these essential criteria is critical for obtaining a UK Visit Visa from Sweden.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 185 Swedes applied for visitor visa UK. 108 applications resolved, 77 visit visas granted to Swedish nationals, and 26 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK visitor visa success and refusal rate from Sweden are 71.30% and 24.07%, respectively.
As of 2023, UK visa fees from Sweden are €138 for a 6-month visa, €481 for a 2-year visa, €927 for a 5-year visa, and €1,157 for a 10-year visa. All these visas have a maximum stay limit of 180 days per visit.
The standard processing time for a visitor visa from Sweden is usually 3-weeks. Swedes and residents in Sweden can fast track the decision time to within one week, by purchasing the priority service for €601.
UK Tourist Visa Application for Swedish Citizens
Swedish citizens planning to visit the UK need to fill out an online application form and provide various documents as part of their tourist visa application. This includes evidence of the intent to return to Sweden, proof of financial means, and a detailed travel itinerary. The application process involves paying a fee of €138 and submitting biometric information at a visa application center.
- Evidence of Returning to Sweden: Documents such as a letter from your employer or educational institution in Sweden, confirming your ties and obligations post-UK visit.
- Demonstration of Financial Stability: Bank statements are required to show sufficient financial resources for your stay in the UK.
- Travel Plan Details: A well-defined itinerary with confirmed bookings for accommodations and transportation within the UK.
Snapshot: Other UK Visitor Visas from Sweden
- Marriage Visitor Visa: For those marrying or forming civil partnerships. Stay: Up to 180 days. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €138.
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa: For private medical treatments lasting between 6-11 months. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €240. Companions must apply separately.
- Visiting Academics: For research or exchanges. Stay: Up to 12 months. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €240.
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE): For professionals on short-term specific paid tasks. Duration: Up to a month. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €138.
- Parent of a Child Student Visa: For parents of kids at fee-paying day schools. Stay: Up to 12 months. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €766.
3. Study Visa UK from Sweden 2023
The UK Student Visa permits Swedish citizens to pursue a range of educational opportunities in the UK, from higher education to Student Union roles.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 527 Swedes applied for student visa UK. 531 applications resolved, 516 student visas granted to Swedes, and no application rejected. Therefore, the UK student visa success rate for Swedes is 100.00%.
Swedish students who are applying for a UK Student Visa need to pay a standard fee of €589. The processing time for the visa is typically around 3 weeks. If quicker processing is needed, there is an expedited service available at an extra charge of €601.
In addition, Swedish students must also pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), which is set at £624 per year, as an integral component of their visa application process.
The short-term study visa is designed for Swedish studying English in the UK for 6-11 months, costing €240. A 6-month course costs €138.
- In term time, students enrolled in degree-level courses can work for a maximum of 20 hours a week and shift to full-time during their breaks.
- For sub-degree level courses, the limit is 10 hours per week.
- Dependents of degree-level students can work; however, those of sub-degree students cannot.
Swedish graduates can avail a 2-year post-study work visa. PhD holders can get a 3-year visa.
4. Family Visa UK for Swedish Citizens
The UK Family Visa under Appendix FM allows Swedish citizens to join family members who are either settled in the UK or British citizens. Categories range from spouse visas to adult dependent relatives and parent of a British child visas.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 69 Swedes applied for family settlement visa UK. 33 applications resolved, 28 family settlement visas granted to Swedes, and 5 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK family (spouse) settlement visa success and refusal rate from Sweden are 84.85% and 15.15%, respectively.
Spouse or Partner Visa UK for Swedish Citizens
- Eligibility: Swedish applicants need to meet the Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules requirements, including a genuine relationship, financial stability, secure housing, and English language skills.
- Validity & Extensions: Spouse visa is granted for 33 months and is extendable after 30 months. Applicants are eligible for ILR after 5 years.
- Cost: The fee is €2,218, with an optional fast-track service costing an extra €601.
Other Family Visas
- Fiancé(e) Visa: For Swedish planning to marry or engage in a civil partnership in the UK. The visa lasts 6 months. After marrying or forming the partnership, they can switch to a spouse or civil partner visa. UK Visa from Sweden Cost: €2,218.
- Parent of a British Child: For Swedish with sole guardianship of a British child. UK Visa Fees from Sweden: €2,218.
- Adult Dependent Relative: For Swedish needing extended care from a UK relative. UK Visa Fees from Sweden: €3,906.
- Returning Residents: Swedish who were previously settled in the UK and wish to return. UK Visa Cost from Sweden: €766.
5. Work in UK from Sweden after Brexit 2023
After Brexit, Swedish citizens need work permit for working and doing business in the UK. Swedish often choose the Skilled Worker visa when seeking employment in the UK. Other options include visas such as the Innovator, Startup, Global Business Mobility, and Health and Care Worker.
In the year ending September 2022, a total of 858 Swedes applied for work visa UK. 870 applications resolved, 828 work visas granted to Swedish nationals, and 17 applications rejected. Therefore, the UK work visa success and refusal rate from Sweden are 95.17% and 1.95%, respectively.
Skilled Worker & Health Care Visa UK from Sweden
- Skilled Worker Visa: For Swedish sponsored for specific skilled roles by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It offers a route to permanent UK settlement. UK Visa Fees from Sweden 2023: €864 (up to 3 years), €1,707 (longer than 3 years).
- Fee Schedule for Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation) Visa: €662 for a duration up to 3 years, €1,303 for a duration exceeding 3 years.
- Health And Care Work Visa: For qualified doctors, nurses, or allied health professionals from Sweden sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It leads to permanent UK settlement. UK Visa Fees from Sweden 2023: €341 (up to 3 years), €662 (longer than 3 years).
Global Business Mobility Visa UK for Swedish Citizens
To qualify for any of Global Business Mobility visas, Swedish passport holders and residents must be sponsored by a UK employer for a specific role and score between 40 to 60 points based on the visa sub-category they are applying for. Note that this visa does not lead to UK settlement.
- Senior or Specialist Worker: For high-level managers or specialists transferring to a UK branch of their overseas company. Replaces the Intra-company Transfer route. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €864 (up to 3 years); €1,707 (over 3 years).
- Graduate Trainee: For those in graduate programmes leading to senior or specialist roles requiring UK placements. Replaces the Intra-Company Graduate Trainee route. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €358.
- UK Expansion Worker: For specialists or seniors working on expanding a business into the UK. Replaces the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business route (exceptions apply). UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €358.
- Service Supplier: For those providing services in line with UK trade commitments. Replaces certain roles under T5 Temporary Worker – International Agreement. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €358.
- Secondment Worker: For Swedish seconded to the UK for high-value contracts or investments. This is a new route. UK Visa Cost from Sweden 2023: €358.
Quick Guide to Other Work and Business Visas
Below is a brief overview of various UK visa categories along with their associated fees for Swedish looking to work or do business in the UK.
- Start-Up Visa: For Swedish starting an innovative business in the UK. Fee: €523.
- Innovator Visa: For Swedish with innovative, viable, and scalable businesses. Fee: €1,431. Requirements include an endorsement, £50,000 investment, and B2 IELTS level.
- Investor Visa: For high-value Swedish investing in the UK. Fee: €2,264.
- Innovator Founder Visa (Introduced April 2023): Designed for global entrepreneurs, replacing the old Innovator and Startup visas. It requires endorsement-based approval and can lead to UK permanent residency for the applicant’s family. Endorsement and application fees are €1,202 and €1,431, respectively.
- High Potential Individual (HPI) Visa: For Swedish graduates from top-50 global universities seeking employment in the UK. Fee: €988.
- Scale-Up Visa: For Swedish with a job offer from an authorised UK scale-up company. Fee: €988. Leads to potential UK settlement after 5 years.
- Global Talent Visa: For Swedish who are leaders or potential leaders in academia, research, arts, or digital technology. UK Visa Fees in Sweden vary: €630 (Approval Letter for initial application), €231 (Main Applicant with Approval Letter), €860 (Main Applicant without Approval Letter and for Dependants).
- T2 Minister of Religion Visa: For Swedish intending to undertake preaching and pastoral work. UK Visa Fees from Sweden 2023: €864.
- International Sportsperson Visa: For elite Swedish sportspersons or coaches contributing to UK sports. UK Visa Fees from Sweden 2023: €358 (up to 12 months COS) or €864 (more than 12 months COS).
- T5 (Temporary Worker) Visa: For Swedish in various sectors, such as seasonal, religious, or creative workers. UK Visa Fees from Sweden 2023: €358.
6. How to Apply for UK Visa from Sweden?
A comprehensive guide tailored for Swedish citizens and residents in Sweden detailing the steps for applying for a UK visa. This guide will walk you through each step of the process, from determining the visa type to preparing for your UK arrival. Note: The estimated cost provided is for a UK visitor visa. Residents in Sweden opting for priority service may complete the process within 15 working days instead of 30.
Total Time: 30 days
Determine the Visa Type
Identify the specific category of visa that aligns with your purpose for traveling from Sweden to the UK.
Create an Account
Access the UK government’s official website for visa and immigration services. Set up your account on the UK Visas and Immigration system.
Complete the Application Form
Form Submission Guideline: When filling out the online application form, ensure every detail aligns with the information in your supporting documents.
Pay the Visa Fee
Next Steps for Payment: Once the form is completed, the system will navigate you to the online payment gateway where you can pay the application fee.
Gather Your Supporting Documents
Based on the visa type, gather essential documents like your Swedish passport or residence permit, proof of finances, and UK accommodation details.
Book an Appointment at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Sweden
If you’re not using the Immigration App for identity verification, it’s essential to schedule an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre (UKVAC) in Sweden.
Attend Your Appointment
Proceed to the VAC, carrying all necessary supporting documents, and conduct the biometric procedures as described in the details of your appointment.
Wait for a Decision
Post-Submission: Following the submission of your application, it will enter the processing stage. Expect a notification upon the finalization of the decision.
Collection or Delivery of Passport
Collect your passport with the visa attached from the VAC, or opt for courier delivery.
Prepare for UK Arrival
Visa and Travel Preparation: As you now hold your visa, start preparing for your travel to the UK. It’s important to stay informed about the specific conditions of your visa.
Estimated Cost: 138 €
- Application form
- Valid Swedish Passport or Residence Permit
- Recent passport-sized photos
- Invitation letter (if applicable)
- Payment for visa fee in EURO
- Proof of accommodation in the UK
- Internet access
- Swedish Passport or Residence Permit
- Financial documents
Materials: Online-submitted UK visa application form, printed. Financial Records: Last 6 months’ Bank Statements. Document Copies: Conveyance Deeds, Rental Agreements, Family Form included.
Stockholm Visa Application Centre
Location: Second Floor, Svetsarvägen 15, 171 41 Solna, Sweden (Note: Do not contact Regus reception for UK Visa queries).
- Monday to Friday: 08:30 – 14:30
- Standard: Monday to Friday, 09:00 – 14:30
- Prime Time: Monday to Friday, 08:30 – 08:45
- Keep My Passport: Monday to Friday, 14:00 – 14:30
- Passport Return: Not Available
For further details please refer to find a visa application centre.
7. Documents Required for UK Visa from Sweden
- Passport/Travel Document Validity: Swedes should ensure their passport is valid throughout the duration of their UK stay, including an available page for the visa.
- Completing the Application Form: Swedish applicants are required to fill in and verify their application through the UK Visas and Immigration portal.
- Details of Accommodation in the UK: Swedes need to provide information about where they will be staying during their visit to the UK.
- Demonstration of Financial Capacity: Applicants from Sweden must show they have adequate financial resources for their stay in the UK.
- Travel Itinerary for the UK: A comprehensive plan of the travel and activities planned in the UK is necessary.
- Evidence of Connections to Sweden: Proof such as job, family, or educational commitments in Sweden, demonstrating an intention to return.
- Requirements for English Language Proficiency: This may be necessary, usually validated through an accredited language test.
- For Work Visas: Necessary documents include an employment offer, Certificate of Sponsorship, and relevant professional qualifications.
- For Study Visas: Applicants will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- For Family Visas: Proofs of familial relationships, like marriage certificates or birth certificates, are required.
- For Tourist Visas: Swedes may need to provide further details about their trip.
Swedish residents or citizens with a sponsor in the UK should include supporting documents from these sponsors, which is particularly important for visas typically needing sponsorship, such as family or work visas.
- An Invitation Letter from the UK sponsor.
- Verification of the Sponsor’s Legal Status in the UK.
- The Sponsor’s Financial Documentation.
- Proof of Accommodation by the Sponsor.
- Proof of Relationship with the Sponsor, if relevant.
Remember: While support documents from a UK sponsor can strengthen your application, meeting the primary visa requirements remains crucial for Swedish citizens and residents applying for a UK visa.
8. UK Visa from Sweden Processing Time after Biometrics 2023
The typical UK visa processing time for non-settlement visas (including student, visitor, tourist, and work visas) from Sweden is between 10-15 working days, or roughly 2 to 3 weeks.
The expedited processing of priority visa applications, which comes with a fee of €601, usually takes 5-7 working days.
However, under circumstances involving document verification or interviews, processing could last up to 12 weeks. Should your application remain unresolved beyond 60 working days, contacting UKVI is recommended.
Processing times for settlement visas for spouses, partners, and families from Sweden generally take up to 12 weeks.
For Sweden passport holders applying for a spouse priority settlement visa, the processing time is 6 weeks. The additional cost for this service is €674.
For a fee of €1,202, the super-priority service ensures next-working-day processing of UK visa applications.
9. FAQs: UK Visa Fee Sweden 2023
How long can a Swedish Citizens stay in the UK?
Swedish citizens can stay up to 180 days on a visitor visa. For other visa types like spouse, student, and work visas, the duration is defined by the visa validity. Swedish can extend their stay by meeting Leave to Remain (LTR) requirements. Certain visa routes also allow for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and eventual British citizenship.
How Many Swedes Live in the UK?
As of 2020, around 99,000 Sweden-born residents lived in the UK, according to Office for National Statistics (ONS). This figure may have changed and doesn’t include Swedish descendants or naturalized citizens.
Do UK Citizens need a visa for Sweden?
From February 2023, for short visits up to 90 days, a visa isn’t required, but travelers must obtain ETIAS authorization.
What Swedish can do if UK Visit Visa is Refused?
Swedish citizens can reapply or seek Judicial Review. No appeal rights exist for visitor visa refusals. Appeals are possible on human rights grounds.
Can Swedish Work on Visiting Visa in the UK?