This guidance relates to UK visitor visa sponsor documents, sufficient financial requirements (bank balance) and proof of accommodation. Accordingly, in the light of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, explains the details of sufficient maintenance funds (bank...
Appendix V Immigration Rules for Visitors | Short Stay Visas
Since April 2015 Appendix V Immigration Rules for visitors is the reference guide for meeting the requirements for UK short stay visas. Therefore, for any applicant, it is quite beneficial to go through Appendix V modernised guidance for increasing the chances of success! Please note, apart from short term study and parent of a Tier 4 child visa, the Appendix V Immigration Rules for Visitors covers the UK visa requirements for all other types of short stay visas such as:
- UK Standard Visitor Visa for tourism, family, business visitors etc.
- Infant and Child Visitors
- Private Medical Treatment in the UK
- Marriage or Civil Partnership
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE)
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) – only for Chinese nationals
Accordingly, the Appendix V for visitors consists of 9 Parts (from V1 to V9) and 5 Appendixes.
Appendix V Immigration Rules for Visitors
The 9 Parts (V1-V9) of Appendix V Immigration Rules for Visitors, explains the following details:
- The Part V1 explains who needs to apply for a visit or transit visa
- Part V2 explains how to make or withdraw an application
- The Part V3 of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, explains the suitability requirements for all types of visitors
- Parts V4 to V6 explain the eligibility requirements for standard, private medical treatment, PPE and marriage or civil partnership, respectively.
- The Part V7 of Appendix V explains the additional requirements for transit visitors
- Part V8 of Appendix V of Immigration Rules explains the requirements for the extension of stay
- Part V9 provides guidance on grounds for cancellation before or on arrival at the UK border. And also curtailment of leave of remain in the UK
Please note, all applicants need to adhere to Part V1 to V3 of Appendix V.
Appendices to Appendix V for Visitors
The 5 Appendices to Appendix V Immigration Rules for Visitors, explains the following details:
- Appendix 1 provides the definitions and interpretations of terms used in Appendix V
- Appendix 2 provides the list of visa nationals i.e. nationals of countries, who require a visa to visit the UK
- The Appendix 3 and 4 explain the permitted activities for all visitors and permitted paid engagements, respectively
- Appendix 5 provides a list of permit-free festivals in the UK.
How to Apply? | Short Stay Visas
Indeed, an applicant can apply for UK short term visa online. Accordingly, needs to fill the online application form. For instance, if a person is applying for UK standard visitor visa for tourism then needs to fill the online UK Tourist Visa Application Form. Moreover, apart from online application form, an applicant also needs to provide the required supporting documents for UK visa.
Many people apply for UK short stay family visa application every year. Therefore, it is important to note that Appendix V of the Immigration Rules for visitors covers the short stay family visa application requirements, which includes the sponsor documents.
The 2, 5 and 10 years standard visitor visas are usually referred to as long term visitor visas. However, in terms of Type C Multiple Entry Visa Rules, the duration of stay in the UK for a visitor is mostly 6 months (or 180 days) per visit.
Fees and Processing Time | Short Stay Visas
Perhaps, depending on the type of the application, the charges for temporary applications varies from £35 to £822. However, the application charges for the most popular 6 months applications as visitors are £95. Furthermore, the UK visa processing time after biometrics for applications under Appendix V Immigration Rules for visitors are usually 10-15 working days. However, applicants can purchase the UK non-settlement priority visa service to fast track applications within 5 working days. The UK fast track visa fees are £220.
Condition of Stay | Short Stay Visas
The most important conditions of stay under Appendix V of Immigration Rules for visitors are:
- no recourse to public funds
- no study, except as permitted by paragraph 25 of Appendix 3
- and no work (which does not prohibit the permitted activities in Appendix 3, 4 or 5 as set out in V1.5)
Extension | Short Stay Visas
In most of the circumstances, it is not possible to extend or switch a short stay visa. However, in limited circumstances, one can apply for visa extension from inside the UK on FLR(IR) application form. The Home Office Fees for temporary extension are £993 per applicant. The UK visa extension processing time after biometrics is usually 8 weeks or 40 working days. However, applicants can fast track extension applications within 5 working days by paying £500 for priority service. Moreover, can also get the decision by next working day by paying £800 for 24 hour super premium service.
Refusal | Short Stay Visas
In case of refusal on general grounds, the UK visitor visa refusal reasons mainly relates to suitability grounds under paragraph V3.2 to V3.16 of Appendix V of Immigration Rules for Visitors. Moreover, applicants are liable to get ban due to overstaying, deportation, adverse immigration history such as use of deception and false documents. In fact, there is no right of appeal or administrative review after refusal of temporary applications. However, after rejection of visitor visa one can reapply or file an immigration judicial review to challenge the decision.
UK Short Stay Visas Refusal Rate
Perhaps, the average refusal rate for applications under Appendix V of Immigration Rules for visitors is around 10-15%. However, the refusal rate greatly various from country to country. For instance, the refusal rate in 2019 amongst the top 20 nationalities was highest for Algerian (45.47%), Ghanaian (42.63%) and Bangladeshi (40.35%) nationals. However, the refusal rate was also high for Pakistani (37.20%), Nigerian (32.16%), and Sri Lankan (23.07%) nationals. Moreover, within the top 20, the lowest refusal rate in 2019 was for Saudi (0.30%) and Russian (1.23%) nationals. And also for Chinese (3.06%), South African (3.11%) and Colombian (3.38%) nationals. The refusal rate in 2019 for nationalities not included in the top 20 was 21.57%.
List of Entries | Short Stay Visas
- Standard Visitor Visa Requirements
- Business Visitor Visa Requirements
- Child Visitor Visa Requirements
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa Requirements
- Marriage or Civil Partnership Visitor Visa Requirements
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE) Visitor Visa Requirements
- Short Term Study (Student Visitor) Visa Requirements
- Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visitor Visa Requirements
- A Guide to Required Supporting Documents for UK Visitor Visa Applications
- UK Visitor Visa Extension Requirements 2021| Coronavirus (Covid-19) Exceptional Assurance
- A Guide to UK Visa Cancellation under Appendix V for Visitors
- How to Apply for 2, 5 and 10 years Long Term Visitor Visa UK?
- Can a Visitor Switch UK Tourist Visa to Work Permit?
- US B1/B2 Visitor Visa Requirements for Business and Tourism
- How to Fill the Online UK Tourist Visa Application Form 2021?
- UK Multiple Entry Visa Rules for All Types of Visitors
- A Complete Guide to UK Visa Refusal Reasons for General Visitors
- UK Visitor Visa Sponsor Documents and Bank Statement Requirements