This guidance relates to the UK visa supporting documents requirements and checklist of required documents for tourist, family and business visitor visa applications. Moreover, also provides the details of additional supporting documents required for UK marriage, medical, prospective entrepreneur, PLAB, OCSE, visiting academics, transit, student and child visitor visa applications. Furthermore, the post also explains the evidence of family ties and proof of intent to return to the home country for UK visitor visa applications.
Supporting Documents Required for UK Visitor Visa Application
Indeed, in terms of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, a UK visitor visa application is usually decided on the information provided by the applicant and any other relevant circumstances at the date of the decision. Therefore, for making a successful application, it is imperative to provide the required supporting documents.
A Checklist of UK Visitor Visa Required Supporting Documents
Depending on the purpose of the visit and personal circumstances, an applicant may usually need provide an appropriate combination of the following supporting documents required for the UK visa application:
- A valid passport in good condition with at least one-page blank on both sides
- Previous Passport, if available
- Translation of Documents not in English/Welsh
- Tour/Flight details
- Letter of Invitation, if necessary
- Evidence of the Sponsor’s Immigration Status in the UK, if necessary
- Accomodation Details in the UK
- Letter from Employer
- Tax returns
- Business Registration
- Business Bank Account Statements
- Personal/Savings Bank Statements
- Bank Books
- Account Maintenance Certificate
- Bank Letter
- Bank Balance Certificate
- Share Certificates
- Crop Receipts, if applicable
- Property Deed
- Mortgage Statements
- Tenancy Agreements
- Accountant’s Letters
- Land Registration Documents
- Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate, if applicable
- Divorce Certificate, if applicable
- Spouse or Partner’s Death Certificate, applicable
- Any evidence of family members remaining in your home country whilst you travel such a family form, child registration certificate etc.
- Any Other Documents deem appropriate to send with the application
Further Information UK Visitor Visa Documents Requirements
Please note, it is mandatory to provide a valid travel document and translation of documents, which are not in English/Welsh. Moreover, if the UKVI asks for more documents then an applicant needs to furnish the requisite documents as early as possible. Perhaps, within 28 working days.
Supporting Documents Not Required for UK Visitor Visa Application
Perhaps, there are certain supporting documents, which are not necessary as these are not good and direct evidence of the income and personal bonafide of an applicant. Therefore, it is quite unlikely that these documents may have any positive impact on the decision. Accordingly, an applicant should not enclose these document, unless is able to explain the relevance:
- multiple copies of the same document- if applicants are applying as a family/group
- bank statements or letters issued more than one (1) year before the date of application
- notarial certificates
- business cards
- driving licence
- photocopies of bank cards such as Debit and Credit Cards
- credit card statements
- documents relating to leisure activities
- evidence of car ownership
- travel insurance
- sponsor’s utility bills
- sponsor’s council tax bills
- educational certificates (unless specifically listed/required)
UK Visa Coronavirus (Covid-19) Latest Update Jan 18, 2021
A person arriving in England before 4am on 18 January 2021 is under no legal obligation to get a coronavirus test before travel. Therefore, he/she is not denied boarding for failing to provide proof of a negative test result, and will also be not fined on arrival into England.
However, from Jan 18, 2021, due to Covid-19 any one arriving in the UK needs to bring a completed passenger locator form and proof of a negative coronavirus test. Moreover, effective from Jan 18, 2021, the British Government has also suspended travel corridors. Therefore, anyone arriving in the United Kingdom after 4am on Monday 18 January will need to self-isolate for 10 days.
To know the details of UK visa Covid-19 requirements relating to Passenger Locator Form, self-isolation (quarantine), Test to Release, Travel Ban Countries, Concession Scheme, Working Hours, Exceptional Assurance for passenger arrivals, entry clearance and leave to remain (extension and ILR) applications please refer to UK Visa Coronavirus (Covid-19) Guidance
Now YOU can get the Best Advice and Representation for All Types of UK Visa and Immigration Applications!
1. Travel Documents Required for UK Visitor Visa
Indeed, a valid travel document means as a national passport or any other such document that lawfully enables the holder to travel internationally. Therefore, the passport of the applicant must be in good condition. And also have at least one blank page on both sides for affixing the visa vignette in case of a successful outcome. Moreover, if an applicant has had a UK visa previously, but this is in an old passport, then it is advisable to enclose the current as well as the previous passport with the application.
2. Translation of the Required UK Visa Documents in English/Welsh
If the supporting documents are not in English/Welsh then an applicant is required to submit a translation of such documents, along with the copies of the originals. Perhaps, if required, the UKVI may verify the translated supporting documents independently. Therefore, the translated supporting documents with the UK visitor visa application must enumerate:
- translator’s confirmation that the translated document(s) are an accurate translation/account of the original non-English/Welsh documents
- the date on which the translation has been done
- full name and signatures of the translator
3. UK Visa Documents Requirements for the Purpose of the Visit
Certainly, an applicant needs to specify the purpose of visiting the UK. Perhaps, there could be a multitude of purposes for visiting the UK such as meeting family, tourism, attending a business conference etc. Therefore, in accordance with the purpose of visiting, an applicant needs to furnish the required UK visa supporting documents.
UK Visa Supporting Documents for General Tourism
Indeed, for establishing the purpose of a tourist visa, an applicant doesn’t require to provide an invitation letter. Therefore, instead of an invitation letter, an applicant can submit a tentative trip plan.
UK Visa Documents Requirements for Meeting Family
Perhaps, visiting for meeting family is quite a frequent reason. Accordingly, most of the applicants applying for family visitor visa needs to provide an invitation letter, which clearly specifies the purpose of the visit. However, if a family visitor does not provide an invitation letter then the chances of success are quite low. Nevertheless, the Sponsor Invitation Letter needs to enumerate the details of accommodation and maintenance without recourse to public funds. Accordingly, the sponsoring family member needs to provide the following documents:
- An Invitation/Sponsor letter
- A copy of the British Passport or residence permit in the UK
- Accommodation details such as Land Registry, Rental Agreement, Mortgage Deed
- Bank statements of the sponsor for meeting the maintenance cost and trip expenses
UK Visa Documents Requirements for Business Meeting
Perhaps, business visits usually means to attend a meeting or a conference, negotiate a business deal, an export or import contract etc. However, depending on the nature of the business, a visitor can undertake a number of business related activities. Indeed, a formal invitation letter from a business or commercial organization usually suffix the purpose of a business trip. Therefore, if the sponsor is a business entity then needs to provide a formal invitation on the letterhead. Moreover, the invitation letter may also state the terms of invitation such as sponsoring or funding the trip cost.
4. Required UK Visitor Visa Documents for Current Employment
Indeed, the details relating to current employment may be different for Salaried and Self-Employed applicants.
UK Visa Supporting Documents for Salaried Applicants
A letter from the employer in the applicant’s country of residence is quite a useful supporting document for establishing the bona fide of the applicant. Indeed, not only the employer letter helps in specifying the purpose of the visit but also helps in establishing professional ties to the home country and intent to return home. Accordingly, an employer letter usually outlines the reason(s) and the purpose of visiting the UK. And also details of an employee’s activities in the UK and trip cost and expenses.
UK Visa Supporting Documents for Self-Employed
Self-employed business persons need to furnish documents such as:
- business registration
- any cogent confirmation that the applicant owns the business
- the date on which the company has started operations
- business bank statements
- any other related documents
In the case of an Agriculturalist or landlord details of the income-generating property is critical. And also income tax registration certificate, property tax receipts etc.
5. Required UK Visa Documents for Money (Income and Savings)
An applicant needs to furnish information relating to accommodation and maintenance in the UK. Therefore, an applicant needs to provide documents to establish the ability to maintain without recourse to public funds. However, depending on the purpose of the visit, an applicant can use sponsor documents to supplement his/her claim.
UK Visa Documents Requirements for Accommodation
An applicant needs to provide a verifiable address for staying during the trip in the online application form. Therefore, may furnish any of the following supporting documents with the UK visa application:
- Sponsor documents: such as land registry, mortgage deed, rental agreement etc.
- Hotel booking confirmation, travel booking confirmation, travel agent’s confirmation etc.
UK Visa Documents Requirements for Sufficient Maintenance Funds
Financial documents demonstrate that an applicant has ample and sufficient funds available for undertaking a journey to the UK. The financial documents must unequivocally show that a claimant has access to the funds. However, the evidence of funds needs to be supplemented by the source of income.
- Bank Statements: Perhaps, savings in the personal bank statements is the most convenient and popular method for demonstrating the availability of funds for the trip to the UK. Usually, the bank statement should cover a period of the preceding six months. However, applicants can attach bank statements for a longer duration. Moreover, any documents relating to funds such as bank statements, bank books, bank letter, balance certificate may not be more than one month old from the application date i.e. the date on which an applicant submits the application and does the biometrics at the UK visa application centre.
- Earnings Proof: Letter from the applicant’s employer confirming the details of employment. The details may include: starting date of employment, role, salary, contact particulars of the company/business entity. And also payslips, tax registration certificate, tax returns. Moreover, for self-employed businesspersons, an income tax return to demonstrate gross and net income.
6. Required UK Visa Documents for Home Address Proof
In the online application form, the applicant needs to provide the present residential address. Therefore, in order to certify the present residential address in the home country, an applicant may furnish a copy of:
- property deed
- mortgage statements
- tenancy agreements
- land registration documents
Moreover, in the case of joint-family or living with family, then also an affidavit from the family member, who is the owner of the property.
Required UK visa documents for confirming the legal residence
Indeed, if an applicant is not a national of a country from which he/she is applying then only needs to furnish a copy of the document confirming the legal residence. For instance, a Pakistani or an Indian national working in Dubai needs to furnish the UAE’s residence permit as evidence of legal residence.
7. Required UK Visa Documents for Home Ties and Intent to Return
The Paragraph V4.2(a) of Appendix V for Visitors requires that visitors must prove their genuine intentions to return to the country of residence at the end of their visit. Therefore, it is prerequisite to furnish documentary evidence as proof of sufficient ties to the home country for proving intent to return at the end of the visit before the grant of a visitor visa. Therefore, an applicant can establish sufficient ties to the Home Country for proving intent to return, by providing evidence relating to:
- Evidence of Family Members Remaining in Your Home Country
- Evidence of Assets as Proof of Intent to Return Home
- Professional and Business Ties to the Home Country
- Income from Employment as Proof of Intent to Return Home
- Business Ties with the country of residence
8. Evidence of family members remaining in your home country
A family is a basic unit of society, therefore, it is important to furnish reasonable proof of family ties for UK visa. Documents to show family ties usually relates to partner and children.
- Marriage certificate as evidence of family ties: If a spouse is travelling alone then marriage or civil partnership certificate as evidence of family ties in the home country may help increase the balance of probabilities for the grant of a UK visa.
- Divorce or death of a partner: in terms of Paragraph 3.6(b) of Appendix V, an applicant is liable to disclose the material facts. Therefore, an applicant should furnish requisite information about divorce or death of a partner. And if available then also enclose a copy of the divorce or death certificate
- Parents travelling without children and evidence of family ties: If parents are applying without children then the proof of intent to return home may children birth certificates, family registration form and school certificates
- Affidavit of Guardianship: If parents are leaving children under 6-12 years then needs to furnish an affidavit of guardianship. Usually, an affidavit from a close relative such as a sister or brother fulfils the requirement.
Unmarried or single applicants and proof of intent to return home
Indeed, a number of applicants are single with no children. Therefore, it is not possible for them to prove sufficient family ties to the home country. However, proof of family ties is only supplementary evidence for proving intent to return to the home country. Nevertheless, ceteris paribus, the balance of probabilities work in favour of a married applicant vis-à-vis an unmarried applicant.
9. Required UK Visitor Visa Documents for Evidence of Assets
This mainly relates to immovable assets such as residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural property, especially for landlords and agriculturalists, who are generating income from property rents and agricultural produce. Accordingly, the UK visa supporting documents may include property deed, mutation, mortgage statements, accountant’s letters and land registration to indicate ownership of immovable assets. Perhaps, provision of clear and adequate information relating to the ownership of the property increases the balance of probabilities. However, if the evidence is meaningless then it may reduce the chances of granting a visitor visa. Usually, property deed, mutation, mortgage statements, accountant’s letters and land registration indicate ownership of immovable assets.
10. UK Visa Documents for Business Ties to the Home Country
Evidence of income provides information about the affordability of trip expenses and the availability of funds for the visa application. And also help in establishing professional and business ties with the home country. Certainly, if an applicant is adequately employed or running a successful business in the home country then he/she has sufficient reasons to return to the home country after the end of the trip.
11. UK Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Salaried Person
An applicant can furnish the evidence of income from employment. Perhaps, the easiest way is to enclose the monthly pay slips for the last six months. And also bank statements in which the applicant receives the monthly salary. Moreover, can further supplement his/her work credentials by providing the appointment or employment letter, tax returns, bank account maintenance certificate, evidence of annual bonus or increment, promotion letter etc. An effective prove of employment in the home country is plausible evidence that an applicant is likely to return to home country after visiting the UK.
12. UK Visitor Visa Documents Requirements for Self-Employed
For self-employed businesspersons, it is critical to proving business ties in the home country. Perhaps, ongoing business in the home country is a good proof of intent to return home. Accordingly, a businessperson can furnish documents such as:
- Sole Proprietorship Certificate from Bank or Government
- Partnership Deed
- Memorandum of Association in case of a private limited company
- Business Bank Account Maintenance Certificate
- Tax Registration Certificate
- Annual Income Tax Returns
- Import and Export License
- Registration with the Local and National Business Chamber
- Registration with Trade Bodies and Associations
- License from Government such as Trade or Custom’s Licence etc.
Start YOUR admission process in UK, USA, Australia, NZ, Canada, Europe, Malaysia, Russia, China, Turkey or UAE
Additional Supporting Documents Required for UK Visitor Visa
Perhaps, if an applicant is not applying for a standard visitor visa, but for any other type of UK visitor visa application then also need to provide additional supporting documents.
- Marriage visitors: Evidence to demonstrate legally-free to marry and marriage arrangements in the UK
- Prospective Entrepreneur: Letter from a registered venture capital
- Academic Visitors: Academics undertaking research up-to 12-months needs to provide a letter from the employer in the Home country, a letter from the Host Organization in the UK. And also a medical certificate.
- Medical Visitors: A Letter from Doctor in the UK, and a medical certificate
- Extension of Medical Visa: Letter from a Registered Medical Practitioner
- Work-related training: For PLAB or OCSE Test a letter from the General Medical Council & Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Transit visa: Travel booking for an onward journey. And also a clear reason and permission for making the onward journey
- Student: A Letter of Study
- Child under 18: A Letter from Parents/Guardian for an unaccompanied child
Please note that the aforesaid documents are in addition to the required supporting documents for all types of UK visit visa applications i.e.
- Travel documents
- Translation of Documents
- Information about your visit
- Current employment
- Money (either income or savings)
- Home address
- Evidence of assets
- Additional Information
- Other documents
1. UK Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Marriage Visitor
If an applicant is applying for a Marriage Visitor Visa then needs to prove that he/she is legally free to marry. And also needs to provide supporting documents relating to the marriage arrangements.
- Legally-Free to Marry: In case an applicant in the past has remained married, or in a civil partnership then the applicant needs to give documents to demonstrate that the applicant is legally free to marry or form a bond of civil partnership again
- Marriage Arrangements: A letter from a UK Registry Office to demonstrate that necessary arrangements have been undertaken for the proposed marriage or civil partnership
3. UK Visa Documents Requirements for Prospective Entrepreneur
If an applicant is applying for a visitor visa then needs to furnish a Letter in support of the application from registered venture capital firms, entrepreneurial seed funds, or government departments. An inability to provide the letter will limit subsequent switching to Tier-1 (Entrepreneur).
3. Required UK Visa Supporting Documents for Visiting Academics
An academics visiting the UK for undertaking research (12-Months Visa), requires to provide a letter from the host organisation in the UK confirming the arrangements for the proposed research or exchange program. Moreover, the applicant also requires to provide a letter from the present employer in the home country (or the country of residence) on the official letterhead of the employer. Certainly, the letter should enumerate the period of exchange or sabbatical. And also provide an outlining of the research that the applicant will undertake in the UK.
UK Visa Medical Certificate Requirements
Applicants, and their accompanied Dependant Family Member(s), from countries listed in Appendix T Part 1, are required to furnish a valid medical certificate issued by an authorised medical practitioner as listed in Part 2 of Appendix T of the Immigration Rules.
4. Required UK Visa Documents for Private Medical Treatment
For applying 6 to 11 months UK medical visa for private treatment and check-up an applicant needs to provide a letter from the Doctor and a medical certificate.
- A Letter from Doctor or a Certified/Authorised Consultant in the United Kingdom detailing the conditions that necessitate/require treatment and consultations in the UK, costs estimates and indicative time duration of the treatment, details of the treatment centre where the prescribed treatment is expected to take place.
- For applicants applying for an eleven (11) months visa, who are residents of countries listed in Appendix T Part 1 of Immigration Rules, the applicants must provide the required valid medical certificate duly issued by medical practitioners listed in Part 2 of Appendix T of the Immigration Rules.
Supporting Documents Requirements for UK Medical Visa Extension
For an extension of stay for private care/medical treatment, an applicant needs to provide a Letter from a Registered Medical Practitioner in the UK. However, only a Registered Medical Practitioner working in a private practice or NHS hospital holding an NHS consultant post or enlisted in the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council can issue a letter. Moreover, the letter must confirm the conditions requiring further treatment and confirmation of payment for any treatment received in the UK.
UK Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Organ Donors
In addition to the documents required for Private Medical Treatment, it is mandatory for organ donors to provide a letter confirming:
- Genuine Intentions of the Organ Donor – that the organ donor genuinely intends to donate an organ to a particular individual with whom the organ donor has a personal or genetic relationship
- Endorsement of a Confirmed Match – an endorsement that the organ donor is a confirmed match to the identified individual, i.e. the recipient, OR is in the process of undergoing further tests for establishing that he/she is a confirmed match
- the date of the proposed transplant
- name of the medical institute/hospital, where the proposed operation/tests are to be conducted
It is mandatory that the letter is from either one of the followings:
- a lead nurse or a coordinator of NHS Trust’s living donor kidney transplant team
- a registered medical practitioner, who either holds NHS consultant post or appears on the specialist register of the General Medical Council
Beneficial Recipient a legal resident in the UK
Organ donors also need to submit a document clearly stating that the beneficial recipient is a legal resident of the UK. This can be proved by enclosing a copy of the British passport or residence permit of the recipient. If the recipient is applying with the Organ Donor, then the recipient needs to provide personal details. These details may include the name, nationality and date of birth of the recipient.
5. Required UK Visitor Visa Documents for Work-Related Training
For work relating training visa, a letter from the General Medical Council & Nursing and Midwifery Council is required to confirm the arrangements for the following tests:
- Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) Test
- Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
UK Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Clinical Attachment
For an unpaid clinical attachment or dental observer post following confirmations are mandatory:
- a written confirmation to take up the offer;
- confirmation that an applicant has not previously undertaken the activity in the United Kingdom.
6. UK Visa Documents for Performers at Permit-Free Festivals
A performer/artist requires to provide an invitation letter from the event organisers of the permit-free festival(s) confirming dates of the performances and details of payments that an applicant will be receiving for taking part in the event. Moreover, the letter should also state that whether the applicant is working as a professional or as an amateur, and what, when and where the applicant will be performing.
7. Required UK Visa Supporting Documents for Transit Visitors
The Transit Visitors needs to demonstrate the confirmation of an onward journey from the United Kingdom. The onwards journey may be within 24 hours of arrival in the UK for Direct Airside Transit or 48 hours of the applicant’s arrival in the UK for Visitor in Transit such as:
- travel booking confirmation (can be in the form of an email or a hard copy of the tickets)
- confirmation from a travel agent
The UK visa supporting documents may demonstrate that the applicant is assured entry into an onward country. For instance, a valid visa, a residence permit, or a green card. In case the applicant is not a resident/national of the onward destination, then needs to provide evidence to demonstrate the reason for travel, such as a holiday booking confirmation.
8. UK Visitor Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Students
A student may provide a Letter of Study from the educational institution. Usually, the letter is on the letterhead of the educational provider. And also confirms the enrollment of the applicant and sanction of leave of absence.
9. UK Visa Supporting Documents Requirements for Child Visitors
It is important to determine a child’s relationship with his/her parent or guardian. Therefore, applicants under the age of 18 years need to submit Birth Certificate or a legal document – such as adoption papers. If the child is travelling unaccompanied or with someone other than the parent(s) the applicant needs to give:
- a signed letter from a parent establishing the details of anyone else accompanying the applicant. And also details of care and accommodation arranged for in the UK
- a copy of parent(s) or legal guardian’s biographical page of the passport, which includes parent’s or legal guardian’s signatures and passport numbers if a parent(s) do not have a passport then the applicant must provide any other official document that bears the signatures of the parents.
For Case Discussion and Representation
*What happens next?
Multilingual qualified London based immigration specialists will get back to you. Perhaps, usually within 2-3 working days. If you have not attached any documents, then the UK based Law firm may ask for the relevant Case-Specific Document(s) such as Refusal Letters, Deportation Orders, Application Forms etc. Moreover, after reviewing the papers and information, the legal advisor may advise a course of action and also quote the fees for processing the application.
Have a great day!