UK Multiple Entry Visa Rules: 180 days per visit for type C visa!

UK Multiple Entry Visa 180 Days Rule for C Type VisaPerhaps, the UK multiple entry visa rules for type C visa are the same for 6 months visitor visa and its long term 2, 5 and 10-year versions. Accordingly, the post tries to answer questions such as What UK visa type C multiple entry means? What is UK multiple entry visa 180 days? What is UK family visitor visa 180 days rule? How many days can a visitor live in the UK? When a single-entry visa for less than 180 days is issued? Accordingly, the post covers the details of  UK multiple entry visa 180 days rules, single entry visa, UK multiple entry visit visa extension and reasons for limiting the duration of UK Visa Type C Multiple Entry.

UK Multiple Entry Visa 180 Days Rule for C Type Visa

Apparently, the short term UK multiple entry visa 180 days is commonly known as 6 months visitor visa UK. Applicants who get the short term 6 months visa at least one or two times, subsequently intend to apply for long term 2, 5 and 10 years visit visa UK.

What UK visa type C multiple entry means?

In most of the cases, in accordance with Section 4 of Immigration (Leave to Enter and Remain) Order 2000, a six months, 2, 5 and 10 years UK Type C visitor visa issues for multiple entries with a duration of stay for 180(days) per visit. For instance, if an applicant is granted a five (5) years multiple visit visa then the applicant can visit the UK on more than one occasion with a duration of stay per visit up to 180 days.

The conditions relating to the frequency of visits and duration of the visit are stated in  Paragraph V1.6 of Appendix V, Paragraph 9 of the Immigration Rules and Section 4 of Immigration (Leave to Enter and Remain) Order 2000.

Long Term Visitor Visa UK Multiple Entry

Moreover, frequent travellers to the UK can apply for UK multiple entry visa 180 days for longer durations. Accordingly, one can apply for Long Term Standard Visitor Visa UK for 2, 5 and 10 years for visiting family, tourism and business visitors.

Applicants applying for a long-term visitor visa need to abide by all the relevant standard visitor visa rules. Accordingly, this satisfies the ECO to decide: whether or not to grant the visit visa for the intended duration. Therefore, an applicant needs to satisfy: genuine intention to visit the UK on a regular basis

Is UK 180 Day Rule Per Visit or Per Year?

Some websites state that a visitor on C Type multiple entry visa can only stay in the UK for up to 180 days per year. This is an incorrect interpretation of the Immigration Rules for visitors. Apparently, the Immigration Rules clearly enables a visitor to cumulatively stay in the UK for more than 180 days during a year.

If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

How Many Days a Visitor Usually Stay in the UK on Multiple Visa?

Certainly, a visitor can stay up to 180 per visit in the UK and more than 180 per year if a visitor is making more than one trip to the UK. However, most of the visitors have an active life in their home country. Therefore, usually, the stay is no longer than 2-3 weeks for business visitors and tourists. Perhaps, even most of the family visitors usually don’t stay longer than 1-2 months in the UK on a visitor visa.

For how many days can a visitor stay in the UK in a year?

In light of the Immigration Rules, a genuine visitor can stay in the UK for more than 180 days in a year. However, there must be a compelling genuine reason to do so such child care of an ailing relative.

For example, a visitor can stay in the UK for 175 days and then return to the Home Country and after 10-15 days can re-entry the UK and stay up to 180 days as allowed during the Rules. As per the Rules relating to the frequency of visits and duration of the visit under section 4 of Immigration (Leave to Enter and Remain) Order 2000, a holder of a 5 or a 10 ten year multiple entry visit visa can repeat this throughout the validity of the visitor visa; however, there should be a genuine reason for living so many days per year in the UK as a visitor.

If the reason is not genuine then the leave to enter or remain can be curtailed and visitor can be removed or deported from the UK, the next application of visitor, even a family visitor such as parents, could be refused solely due to the reason of living in the UK for such an extended period of time i.e. rather temporarily visiting the UK to meet family, the visitor has made the UK his/her home, which is not allowed in the visitor rules. 

UK Visit Visa Extension and UK Multiple Entry Visa Rules

If due to any reason a visitor, holder of a Standard Long-Term Multiple Entry Visitor Visa, intends to stay for longer than his/her visitor visa expiry date in the UK then it is plausible to apply for an extension of the leave for a maximum period up to six (6) months. For instance, a visitor arriving in July, with a visa expiring in August, can extend his/her visa up to 6 months, until December, as a standard visitor. A single entry or six (6) months visitor visa can also be extended to complete six (6) months in the United Kingdom as a visitor. For further details, please refer UK visit visa extension

When a Single Entry UK Visitor Visa is Issued?

Most UK visitor visas – except for Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) and Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) – allow the holder to enter the United Kingdom on multiple occasions during the validity period of the visa. However, in terms of Paragraph 9(i), an Immigration Officer has the authority to endorse Single Entry Visa UK. Most noteworthy: if an ECO is not clear about an applicant’s purpose of visiting the UK on a regular basis over an extended period. Moreover, an ECO can also issue a visitor visa having a duration of stay less than 180 days i.e. 30, 60, or 90 days.

Instances of Issuance of Single Entry Visitor Visa

In certain cases, only a single entry visitor visa is issued such as in the event of a charity sponsoring a visit visa of a child. Moreover, if an applicant is unable to satisfy apparently and there are is residual doubt that although a claimant meets the immigration rules, nonetheless there is a lingering doubt that the application lacks a clear, well-established, compelling and verifiable reason to visit the UK;

Issuance of Single Entry Visitor Visa

Moreover, there are quite a few instances which necessitate grant of a single entry visitor visa such as if:

  • a visitor is a non-expert but key witness at a criminal, family or civil court case
  • police or any such agencies request a person to visit the UK so as to assist an enquiry
  • the visitor is coming to the UK for attending the funeral of an immediate/close family member in the UK
  • a visitor is coming to attend a particular one-off genuine event for which he/she has an invitation. For example, a religious, business, or a professional convention
  • the visitor is visiting to conduct a particular business transaction in the United Kingdom and his/her attendance is crucial
  • the visitor intends to meet an immediate/close family member who is either pregnant or seriously ill.

Single-entry visa to replace a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Moreover, if a person, who has a leave to remain or ILR in the UK, is outside the UK and misplaces his/her BRP, then for entry clearance purpose can apply for a single-entry visa. However, the price of such a single-entry visa is £154, instead of £95 for the usual single or multiple entry visitor visa. Moreover, it is also not a C-type visitor visa but permission to enter the UK.

Limiting the Duration of UK Multiple Entry Visa Type C

Until and unless there are grounds for not issuing a short or long term multiple entry visa UK, the applicant usually gets the type of the visa that he/she applied for. However, the length of a standard visitor visa can be restricted in the following instances:

UK Multiple Entry Visa Rules for Children under 18 years of age

Children reaching eighteen (18) years of age – children, who should only be granted a long-term visa which is valid up to 6 months past their 18th birthday. For instance if two siblings one 15 years of age and the other 17 years of age applies for a two (2) years long term multiple entry Type C visa, then the

  • visa expiry date for the 15-year-old child will be two (2) years from the date on which the visa is granted, i.e. until the time the child will reach seventeen (17) years of age
  • whereas for the 17-year-old child,  the visa expiry date will be limited to the date which is six (6) months after the applicant’s 18th birthday i.e. instead of a two (2) years visit visa, this child will get an eighteen (18) months visit visa.

Grant of Single Entry Visa

When the ECO may deem appropriate to issue a single entry visit visa. Please refer details in the preceding sections of this post.

Applicant’s Travel Documents Restricts Duration

When the applicant holds a travel document with permission to enter another country that must be exercised before explicitly given a date that restricts the duration i.e. how long the applicant may be outside of his/her country of normal residence.


Related: UK visitor and temporary visas: Standard Visitor Visa UK, C Visit Business Visa UK, Long Term Visitor Visa UK, UK Medical Visa, Marriage Visitor Visa UK, UK PPE Visa, Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa, Short Term Study Visa, Child Visitor Visa UK Requirements and Short Term Student Child Visa UK. And also UK Visit Visa 2018, Switch Visitor Visa UK, UK Visitor Visa Cancelled, UK Visit Visa Extension, UK Visit Visa Eligibility Requirements, UK Visitor Visa Sponsor DocumentsUK Visa Refusal Reasons, and UK Visa Supporting Documents

Perhaps, to know more about UK Visa and Immigration please refer: UK Priority Visa Service, UK Settlement Visa Processing Time, UK Tourist Visa Processing Time After Biometrics, UK Visa Delay Reasons, UK Visa Reapply or Appeal, UK Immigration Appeal Waiting Time and UK Visa Appeal Solicitors