UK Visa Fees Germany 2023 is the focus of this guide, offering up-to-date information on entry requirements for Germans and residents in Germany. As of 1 January 2021, visas are mandatory for Germans seeking to work, study, or settle in the UK. Although Germans can enter the UK for short visits without a visa, non-EU nationals such as Indians and Pakistanis residing in Germany must apply for one. This guide outlines the various visa fees, including those for 6-month visits, student, skilled worker, and spouse visas, which are €138, €589, €864, and €2,218, respectively.
Table of Contents
1. UK Visa from Germany 2023
German citizens do not need a visa for short visits to the UK for tourism, business meetings, and academic conferences, among other activities. They can stay in the UK for up to six months without a visa. However, for long-term stays involving work, study, or settlement, a specific UK visa corresponding to the purpose of the stay is required.
Business travel has seen notable changes. While short business meetings might not necessitate a visa, activities like contracting, selling goods directly to the public, or providing services might require specific business visas. German business travelers are advised to check the exact nature of their trip against UK visa specifications.
Do I Need a Visa for UK from Germany?
Whether you need a visa to enter the UK from Germany depends on your nationality and the purpose and duration of your visit.
- UK Visa for EU Residents from Germany: With Brexit ending on December 31, 2020, the rights of EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens to automatically live or work in the UK were revoked. Those living in the UK before 2021 must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by June 30, 2021. From January 1, 2021, a visa is required for working, studying, or family settlement, though tourists can stay for up to 6 months with a passport. Irish citizens, however, can still enter the UK without a visa post-Brexit, in line with the CTA agreement.
- UK Visa for German Residents (Non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens): If you’re a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen residing in Germany, your requirement for a UK visa will depend on your nationality. For instance, an Indian passport holder living in Germany would need to apply for a UK visa for most purposes.
UK Visa from Germany for Indian Passport Holder
Indian and Pakistani passport holders in Germany, being non-EU residents, must obtain a UK visa for activities like visiting, working, studying, or family settlement. For short holidays or visits, they need a UK visit visa, typically processed within 10-15 working days, with expedited options available. Biometrics are submitted at TLS centres in Germany. Indian applicants may require additional documents like a German Residence Permit and generally submit biometrics in Berlin, Düsseldorf, or Munich.
Cost of Moving from UK to Germany and Vice Versa
Moving between the UK and the Germany involves both the physical relocation of belongings and a change in immigration status. For UK citizens moving to Germany post-Brexit, a residence permit for work or study is typically required. The application process can take several weeks and may cost around €864 per applicant for three years work permit.
The physical move can vary significantly in cost, depending on the volume of belongings and the moving service selected. A full-service move can cost upwards of €3,500. Self-packing and using a freight service can reduce costs but will require more time and effort. On average, the physical relocation can be completed within 1-2 weeks.
2. UK Visit Visa from Germany 2023
German citizens, as non-visa nationals, typically do not need a visa for short stays up to 6 months in the UK. However, non-EU nationals residing in Germany are required to obtain a visa for such visits. According to Paragraph V 1.3 of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, there are specific situations where German citizens must apply for a UK visa:
- For intentions to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK, or to announce such plans.
- If planning a stay in the UK for more than six months.
Standard Visitor Visa UK from Germany
The standard visitor visa is for tourism, family visits, business meetings, short-term studies, and other allowed activities. Germans and EU residents in Germany typically don’t need a standard visa to visit the UK. However, non-EU residents like Indian or Pakistani passport holders must apply for a standard visa to visit the UK.
To secure a UK Visit Visa from Germany, applicants must satisfy multiple criteria. The foremost requirement is stating the clear purpose of the visit, whether it’s tourism, business, or visiting family. Applicants also need to provide proof of financial means to support their stay in the UK, along with evidence of accommodation arrangements. Furthermore, proof of onward or return travel is required to ensure the applicant intends to leave the UK after the visit. Meeting these essential criteria is critical for obtaining a UK Visit Visa from Germany.
For the year ending 2022, out of 322 German UK visitor visa applications, 311 were approved and 18 were denied, leading to 89.39% approval rate and a 5.79% refusal rate.
As of 2023, UK visa fees from Germany are €138 for a 6-month visa, €481 for a 2-year visa, €927 for a 5-year visa, and €1.157 for a 10-year visa. All these visas have a maximum stay limit of 180 days per visit.
The standard processing time for visit visa from Germany is usually 3-weeks. German citizens and residents in Germany can fast track the decision time within one week, by purchasing the priority service for €601.
UK Tourist Visa Guide for German Citizens
German nationals applying for a UK tourist visa are required to fill in an online application form and provide specific documents. These documents should include proof of the intent to return to Germany, evidence of financial stability, and a detailed travel itinerary. The application process includes a visa fee of €138 and the submission of biometric information at a designated visa application center.
Necessary Documentation for German Applicants:
- Proof of Returning to Germany: A letter from your employer or educational institution in Germany, confirming your commitments after your visit to the UK.
- Financial Stability Evidence: Bank statements are needed to show sufficient funds for the duration of your stay in the UK.
- Detailed Travel Plans: Include confirmed bookings for accommodations and travel arrangements in the UK.
Snapshot: Other UK Visitor Visas from Germany:
- Marriage Visitor Visa: For those marrying or forming civil partnerships. Stay: Up to 180 days. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €138.
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa: For private medical treatments lasting between 6-11 months. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €240. Companions must apply separately.
- Visiting Academics: For research or exchanges. Stay: Up to 12 months. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €240.
- Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE): For professionals on short-term specific paid tasks. Duration: Up to a month. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €138.
- Parent of a Child Student Visa: For parents of kids at fee-paying day schools. Stay: Up to 12 months. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €766.
3. Study Visas in the UK 2023
Student Visa UK from Germany
The UK Student Visa permits German citizens to pursue a range of educational opportunities in the UK, from higher education to Student Union roles.
In the year ending September 2022, 4,343 out of 4,312 German applications were approved, showing a 97.58% success rate.
For German nationals applying for a UK Student Visa, the standard application fee is €589, with the usual processing time being around 3 weeks. An expedited service is also offered, incurring an extra cost of €601 for faster processing.
In addition to the visa fee, students from Germany are obliged to pay the annual Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), amounting to £624.
The short-term study visa is designed for Germans studying English in the UK for 6-11 months, costing €240. A 6-month course costs €138.
- While enrolled in degree-level programs, students can engage in up to 20 hours of work per week during term periods and full-time during their vacation breaks.
- For sub-degree level courses, the limit is 10 hours per week.
- Dependents of degree-level students can work; however, those of sub-degree students cannot.
German graduates can avail a 2-year post-study work visa. PhD holders can get a 3-year visa.
4. Family Visa UK for German Citizens 2023
The UK Family Visa under Appendix FM allows German citizens to join family members who are either settled in the UK or British citizens. Categories range from spouse visas to adult dependent relatives and parent of a British child visas.
In the year ending September 2022, the success rate for German applicants stood at 84.44%, with 76 approvals out of 90 applications.
Spouse or Partner Visa UK for German Citizens
- Eligibility: German nationals must align with Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, ensuring a genuine relationship, financial security, adequate housing, and English language skills.
- Validity & Extensions: The spouse visa duration is 33 months, extendable after 30 months, with eligibility for ILR after 5 years.
- Cost: The fee is €2,218, with an additional €601 for expedited processing if chosen.
Other Family Visas
- Fiancé(e) Visa: For Germans planning to marry or engage in a civil partnership in the UK. The visa lasts 6 months. After marrying or forming the partnership, they can switch to a spouse or civil partner visa. UK Visa from Germany Cost: €2,218.
- Parent of a British Child: For Germans with sole guardianship of a British child. UK Visa Fees from Germany: €2,218.
- Adult Dependent Relative: For Germans needing extended care from a UK relative. UK Visa Fees from Germany: €3,906.
- Returning Residents: Germans who were previously settled in the UK and wish to return. UK Visa Cost from Germany: €766.
5. UK Work Visa for German Citizens 2023
After Brexit, German citizens need work permit for working and doing business in the UK. Germans often choose the Skilled Worker visa when seeking employment in the UK. Other options include visas such as the Innovator, Startup, Global Business Mobility, and Health and Care Worker.
According to data for the year ending September 2022, 4,564 Germans applied for a UK work visa. From the 820 processed applications, 4,471 were granted, reflecting a high success rate of 96.09%. On the other hand, 109 applications were rejected, yielding a refusal rate of 2.34%.
Skilled Worker & Health Care Visa UK from Germany
- Skilled Worker Visa: For Germans sponsored for specific skilled roles by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It offers a route to permanent UK settlement. UK Visa Fees from Germany 2023: €864 (up to 3 years), €1,707 (longer than 3 years).
- Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation) Visa: Fees: €662 (up to 3 years), €1,303 (longer than 3 years).
- Health And Care Work Visa: For qualified doctors, nurses, or allied health professionals from Germany sponsored by a licensed Home Office sponsor. It leads to permanent UK settlement. UK Visa Fees from Germany 2023: €341 (up to 3 years), €662 (longer than 3 years).
Global Business Mobility Visa UK for German Citizens
To qualify for any of Global Business Mobility visas, German passport holders and residents must be sponsored by a UK employer for a specific role and score between 40 to 60 points based on the visa sub-category they are applying for. Note that this visa does not lead to UK settlement.
- Senior or Specialist Worker: For high-level managers or specialists transferring to a UK branch of their overseas company. Replaces the Intra-company Transfer route. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €864 (up to 3 years); €1,707 (over 3 years).
- Graduate Trainee: For those in graduate programmes leading to senior or specialist roles requiring UK placements. Replaces the Intra-Company Graduate Trainee route. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €358.
- UK Expansion Worker: For specialists or seniors working on expanding a business into the UK. Replaces the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business route (exceptions apply). UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €358.
- Service Supplier: For those providing services in line with UK trade commitments. Replaces certain roles under T5 Temporary Worker – International Agreement. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €358.
- Secondment Worker: For Germans seconded to the UK for high-value contracts or investments. This is a new route. UK Visa Cost from Germany 2023: €358.
Quick Guide to Other Work and Business Visas
Below is a brief overview of various UK visa categories along with their associated fees for Germans looking to work or do business in the UK.
- Start-Up Visa: For Germans starting an innovative business in the UK. Fee: €523.
- Innovator Visa: For Germans with innovative, viable, and scalable businesses. Fee: €1,431. Requirements include an endorsement, £50,000 investment, and B2 IELTS level.
- Investor Visa: For high-value Germans investing in the UK. Fee: €2,264.
- Innovator Founder Visa (Launched April 2023): A replacement for the former Innovator and Startup visas, tailored for global entrepreneurs. This visa process is streamlined with an endorsement-based approval and offers a route to UK residency for family members. Endorsement fee: €1,202, Application fee: €1,431.
- High Potential Individual (HPI) Visa: For German graduates from top-50 global universities seeking employment in the UK. Fee: €988.
- Scale-Up Visa: For Germans with a job offer from an authorised UK scale-up company. Fee: €988. Leads to potential UK settlement after 5 years.
- Global Talent Visa: For Germans who are leaders or potential leaders in academia, research, arts, or digital technology. UK Visa Fees in Germany vary: €630 (Approval Letter for initial application), €231 (Main Applicant with Approval Letter), €860 (Main Applicant without Approval Letter and for Dependants).
- T2 Minister of Religion Visa: For Germans intending to undertake preaching and pastoral work. UK Visa Fees from Germany 2023: €864.
- International Sportsperson Visa: For elite German sportspersons or coaches contributing to UK sports. UK Visa Fees from Germany 2023: €358 (up to 12 months COS) or €864 (more than 12 months COS).
- T5 (Temporary Worker) Visa: For Germans in various sectors, such as seasonal, religious, or creative workers. UK Visa Fees from Germany 2023: €358.
6. How to Apply for UK Visa from Germany?
A comprehensive guide tailored for Germans and residents in Germany detailing the steps for applying for a UK visa. Note: The estimated cost provided is for a UK visitor visa. Residents in Germany opting for priority service may complete the process within 15 working days instead of 30.
Total Time: 30 days
Determine the Visa Type
Identify the specific category of visa that aligns with your purpose for traveling from Germany to the UK.
Create an Account
Navigate to the official UK government website dedicated to visas and immigration. Register an account on the UK Visas and Immigration platform.
Complete the Application Form
Application Consistency: Fill out the designated online application form, double-checking that all information is in agreement with your supporting documents.
Pay the Visa Fee
Payment Procedure: Following the completion of your form, the system will guide you to proceed with the application fee payment via the online payment gateway.
Gather Your Supporting Documents
Based on the visa type, gather essential documents like your German passport or resident permit, proof of finances, and UK accommodation details.
Book an Appointment at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Germany
If you’re not using the Immigration App for identity verification, it’s essential to schedule an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre (UKVAC) in Germany.
Attend Your Appointment
Visit the VAC, armed with all the supporting documents, and perform the biometric procedures as per the guidelines provided in your appointment confirmation.
Wait for a Decision
After submission, your application will be processed. You’ll be notified when the decision is finalized.
Collection or Delivery of Passport
Collect your passport with the visa attached from the VAC, or opt for courier delivery.
Prepare for UK Arrival
With your visa in hand, prepare for your travel to the UK, ensuring you’re aware of the visa conditions.
Estimated Cost: 138 €
- Application form
- Valid German Passport or Resident Permit
- Recent passport-sized photos
- Invitation letter (if applicable)
- Payment for visa fee in EURO
- Proof of accommodation in the UK
- Internet access
- German Passport or Resident Permit
- Financial documents
Materials: Printed GWF UK visa online application form. Financial Proof: Bank Statements for recent 6 months. Photocopies of Documents: Conveyance Deeds, Rental Agreements, Family Form.
UK Visa Application Centres in Germany
- Berlin Visa Application Centre: Chausseestraße 18/18a, 10115 Berlin, Germany
- Düsseldorf Visa Application Centre: TLScontact Deutschland GmbH, Bismarckstraße 101, 40210 Düsseldorf, Germany
- Munich Visa Application Centre: Altheimer Eck 11, 1st floor, 80331 München, Germany
For further details please refer to find a visa application centre.
7. Documents Required for UK Visa from Germany
- Valid Passport/Travel Document: Ensure it is valid for the entirety of your stay in the UK, with at least one blank page for the visa sticker.
- Application Form: Complete and authenticate it through the UK Visas and Immigration portal.
- Proof of Accommodation: Provide details of where you will stay in the UK.
- Financial Proof: Demonstrate your financial capability to support your stay.
- Travel Itinerary: Include a detailed plan of your activities and travel within the UK.
- Proof of Ties to Germany: Evidence demonstrating your intention to return to Germany, such as employment or family ties.
- English Language Proficiency: Required in some cases, usually verified through an accredited English test.
- Work Visas: Job offer, Certificate of Sponsorship, and relevant professional qualifications.
- Study Visas: Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) document.
- Family Visas: Evidence of relationships, such as marriage or birth certificates.
- Tourist Visas: Additional information about your trip, if required.
German residents or citizens with a sponsor in the UK should include their sponsor’s supporting documents. This is particularly important for visas typically requiring sponsorship, like family or employment-based visas.
- Letter of Invitation: From the UK sponsor.
- Proof of the Sponsor’s Immigration Status: Documentation confirming the sponsor’s legal status in the UK.
- Financial Documents: Evidence of the sponsor’s financial stability.
- Accommodation Proof: Confirmation of the sponsor’s ability to provide accommodation.
- Relationship Evidence: If applicable, to prove the relationship with the sponsor.
Please Remember: While sponsor documents can strengthen your application, fulfilling the primary visa requirements is crucial for German citizens and residents applying for a UK visa.
8. UK Visa from Germany Processing Time after Biometrics 2023
The typical UK visa processing time for non-settlement visas (including student, visitor, tourist, and work visas) from Germany is between 10-15 working days, or roughly 2 to 3 weeks.
Priority visa applications are usually processed within 5-7 working days. The additional cost for this service is €601.
Processing times can extend up to 12 weeks in certain cases due to document verification, interviews, or administrative delays. If an application remains unresolved after 60 working days, contacting UKVI is advisable.
Processing times for settlement visas for spouses, partners, and families from Germany generally take up to 12 weeks.
For German passport holders applying for a spouse priority settlement visa, the processing time is 6 weeks. The additional cost for this service is €601.
For €1,202, the super-priority service offers expedited processing of UK visas by the next business day.
9. FAQs: UK Visa Fees Germany 2023
How long can Germans stay in the UK?
Germans can stay up to 180 days on a visitor visa. For other visa types like spouse, student, and work visas, the duration is defined by the visa validity. Germans can extend their stay by meeting Leave to Remain (LTR) requirements. Certain visa routes also allow for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and eventual British citizenship.
How Many Germans Live in the UK?
As of 2020, around 136,000 German-born residents lived in the UK, according to Office for National Statistics (ONS). This figure may have changed and doesn’t include German descendants or naturalized citizens.
Do UK Citizens need a visa for Germany?
As of February 2023, short stays up to 90 days don’t require a visa. However, an ETIAS authorization is necessary.
What Germans can do if UK Visit Visa is Refused?
Germans can reapply or seek Judicial Review. No appeal rights exist for visitor visa refusals. Appeals are possible on human rights grounds.
Can Germans Work on Visiting Visa in the UK?